Head Banging ???

Head Banging ???
Ok - my son is almost 17 months old and has started hitting himself in the head/face when he gets frustrated or mad ?? why?? and then he's also banging his head on the floor or the wall - at first I thought it was cause he thought it made a cool sound but now he's doing it more and more! he's never watched TV and me and his father are extremely happy so its not a learned behavior.. PLEASE tell me this is a stage or something???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's fine. If he hurts himself too much, he will soon realize to quit it. Just let him find out on his own!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My son use to do that and occasionally will hit his head if hes being silly but it sounds like u have an extreme case u might want to get him checked for autism or other disorder just in case. hope everything is ok and hes just being silly
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my bro did that & it was just a stage. he did it b/c my mom responded to it quickly when he was mad. my DD (9m/o) tried it a few weeks ago but quickly stopped when it didnt get a reaction from me. if it is just a stage he will stop if when he realizes he isnt getting your attention.

i agree w/ heartformyson. if it doesnt stop after a while you might want to get him checked out just in case.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• ds used to do it all the time on the floor, wall, car seat, whatever, it was when he got mad and didn't get his way. he knew it would get a reaction out of me. i spoke with his ped. on more than one occasion because i was afraid he would hurt himself and eventually he stopped. i guess between me ignore the behavior and him getting older he outgrew it. like previous poster have said if it seems to be getting worse and doesnt go away get him checked out. good luck :)
    Anonymous

• Oh do I remember these days. He is not learning it from you. He is little and mad and does not have the tools to deal with his anger in a productive way. He can't really say he is pissed off, so he does what comes natural. This too shall pass Momma. My son bloodied his lips on coffee tables etc. It is not pretty. Try to move him to a softer spot and discourage or distract him when he is like this.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i used to head bang when i was a kid...i dont know why i started, but ido know as i got older it comforted me at night..i probably did that from about 18 months til i was 9 or 10...drs had no worries, as long as i wasnt hurting myself, which i didnt..and i turned out just fine..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009