How to find someone?

I have a great dad and he is my step-dad(I don’t even call him that…ever) since I was very little. But I wonder sometimes about my ‘birth dad’. Not really to get him in my life, but to find out things about him, health-wise. I guess I’d like to hear his side of the story, since my parents make him sound evil, but also, if I have half brothers or sisters out there. I mean my ‘birth dad’ and my mom split when they were still pretty young, 22 or so. Who knows maybe one of you could be related to me! I’m not sure where to start, and I don’t want to put money into it. I want to see what I can do on my own and if there are any groups here on Cafemom or anywhere online that could help me. Thanks.

Asked by momofana82 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• I do genealogy and occasionally know of various databases of information and can find stuff. If you private message me with any information you do have on him, I will try to help. Include names, nicknames, parent names, dates, locations. If you are not comfortable with sharing information, message me anyway and I can probably let you know whether or not I can help you...

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Oooh, good question. My husband would love to "find" his biological father too.

Answer by elwalters77 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

Answer by Country_Momma26 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Well if you can get his first and last name, then you can look for them in the state that they last were on, it will give you a few people, but you can narrow the search. Also I don't know if you have to pay but In the end though you might have to spend about $45 for a program or something that will really help you find him.

Answer by izzimommy203 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• is another one.

Answer by JayLynn612 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Please just prepare yourself for all the scenarios that may be possible. My dad has 2 kids from a previous marriage that we have recently been reunited with. I am having no problem with it, but my sister is.

Honestly, find out if your mom knows how to get in touch with him. Over the last 45 years, my dad's ex-wife kept in touch with my mom and dad to keep him updated on the kids. That's how my dad found out that his daughter had died.

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I've had some success at finding people for a few friends...without paying those investigative sites...PM me if you are still interested!

Answer by gabby423 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008