In real G20 news... what do you think?

I know some are caught up in what gift Obama gave to the Queen but aside from the gift giving he was also there to meet with other World leaders and those meetings went very well.

Renewed relationship with Russia and China:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/europe/jan-june09/g20_0401.html
After meeting with Medvedev: The leaders reaffirmed the countries' ties, saying in the statement that the "era when our countries viewed each other as enemies is long over." President Obama reinforced that message when talking to reporters after his meeting with Medvedev.

"Over the last several years, the relationship between our two countries has been allowed to drift," Mr. Obama said. "What I believe we've begun today is a very constructive dialogue that will allow us to work on issues of mutual interest."
So what do you think? Shouldn't the focus of this trip be on the real issues and NOT gift giving?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They'll find a way to discredit this in about 10 minutes.

I think he's making an effort to help other countries feel like they are a part of the solution instead of part of the problem which is progress in my opinion.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 11:48 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Obama is an idiot.
    Anonymous

• I read about this yesterday and was really excited about it. It is about time we earn back out international respect, because that is the only way to keep our enemies at bay.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• DRIFT?....yeah, the problem came when Russia DRIFTED it's happy butt into Georgia and caused a bunch a trouble! He needs to stop blaming the past administrationS and deal with the here and now. If he can work with them on his own merit, fine. But this 3rd grade tactic of "I didn't do it" is getting OLD! He ASKED for this job. Spent MILLIONS trying to get this job, deal with it and negotiate on your OWN merit and plan for the future, leave the caveats out of it!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I seem to recall that Georgia was the instigator in the recent conflict.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Earn back their respect by letting them do whatever they please... The Obama Way.
    Anonymous

Depends on if you believe Russia when they say the Russian military equipment shooting down a Georgian plane on video isn't really theirs. Georgia was in the middle of a civil war, Russia jumped in and took the rebels' side. FWIW, Human Rights Watch takes Georgia's side over Russia's.

Meanwhile, there's been lots of fun Orwellian stuff is going on there - any country (not any G20 country) who refused to cooperate with another country's tax investigators will be sanctioned. A year long ban on allowing any member nation to add sanctions or tariffs to imports (that means China is "safe" for another year, while our jobs are at risk for another year, unless they're at WalMart). Oh, and we'll now have global (not US) regulation of bankers' salaries. Wonder what field they'll regulate next. Maybe nursing? Small business?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• That is not the case, that is your opinion based on what Rush and Hannity tell you to think Anon 1:09, there is no evidence to support your assumption.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Rush and Hannity are intelligent men who througoughly research their stances. I suppose you turn to the vast knowledge of Maddow, Olbermann, and Micheal Moore?

Anonymous

• Actually no, I don't listen to shock jocks on either side of the fence.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009