My 20 mon old had had 2 ear infections, what can i do?

He has had 2 ear infection and the 2nd one actually had a bubble in his inner ear. I want to know if there is a test to check his ears or if anyone has had to do the tube thing to help him. He doenst sleep good and hes been pulling at his ear again and it's only been a week. What can i do to help him?

gavinsmoma

Asked by gavinsmoma at 11:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to his pediatrician. My son is only 12 months old and is on his 4th ear infection since november. If he gets another one this month he'll get tubes if he makes it to summer the dr said we'll be fine til next year. I had to have tubes and my BIL had to have tubes and it does run in the family the dr said so chances are my son will end up with tubes. But 2 isn't anything to be real worried about. But talk to his dr if your worried
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I went through many years of ear infections with my kids. Then a little old doctor came in to see my son who had been on 3 different medications in four months to get rid of ear infection. The doctor advised me to take my son completely off of dairy products for a week and then come back to see him.
    A week later the ear was clear and the infections gone. No surgery for tubes!
    It has turned out that all of my children had a dairy allergy. We switched to soy milk for a while and then moved to rice milk and almond milk. (Too much estrogen in soy for boys we were advised.)
    My kids still have ice cream, cheese & sour cream occassionally but not that often. They are healthy & full of energy & are not deprived for not drinking milk. In their early years the doctor said to give them 1 Tums daily for calcium & that is when he drank mocha mix non dairy creamer because the other options were not available yet.
    Talk with your doctor!
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 12:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thanx for the help!
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 12:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My middle used to get ear infections with each cold. You're lucky you've only had two!

We were told that as long as they cleared up completely each time there would be no need for tubes. It's been a good 6 months since his last one, and they've always cleared up! (he's 3 now)

It's when they don't clear up doctors usually talk "tubes"...but not just for one or two. And if you're concerned, yes you can have the hearing checked!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My daughter is 2yr 3 months now and she has had 3 year infections this winter. This is the first winter she has been in a day care center (she was in a home day care before with just 2 other kids and very less exposure to infections). Everytime she gets a cold, it seems to turn to ear infection and she has had fluids in her ears for last 4 months. I was also told it might be prudent to get tubes but her doctor wants to wait since its almost spring now and my dr says the more they play outside, the better it is for them. Also the tubes tend to fall off after 6 months to 18 months, so if it falls off early, then they will again have no protection for next winter. So I have decided to wait. I have also decided to wait for 3 or 4 days before I start anti-biotics again to see if it will go away on its own.. many infections do go away. Just put some tylenol or motrin or the ear drops to help with pain.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 1:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Willow Garlic Ear Oil
    You can find it at the Vitamin Cottage website.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Awe, man. I wish my son (18 months) has only had two ear infections. I have lost count of them! Did they give him any antibiotics? If the first round doesnt clear it up within two weeks, they will give another, and another. My doctor said three months of continuous ear infections is when they refer to an ENT for tubes. Good luck!

Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my dd had tubes for a year they just came out! she had ear infections all the time and the last time she had one before the tubes lasted a month and it took 4 diff perscriptions to clear it . You need to ask the your childs dr and ask if its normal for the bubble in his ear. They usually have to of had like 6 ear infections in a 1 year period to consider tubes, but to help ask about them thats what i had to do i got tired of her having them so i asked dds dr if there was something that could be done and she sent her to an ent and she said she needs tubes.
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My son started with chronic ear infections at 4 months and by the time he was 10 months old he had tubes and that was the best thing we did for him. He began to sleep through the night and also since then he has had two infections(he is now 23 mths) and instead of having to do oral antibiotics we were able to do ear drops for the infections. We just went to his 1 yr check up for the tubes and they are still holding strong and if they don't come out on there own in the next year they will remove them.
    MamaK0507

Answer by MamaK0507 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thank you all so much for the help!
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 8:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009