Will We Have a Budget for UHC?

Here's a blurb of an article I read today:

"AUSTIN, Texas – Just nine people accounted for nearly 2,700 of the emergency room visits in the Austin area during the past six years at a cost of $3 million to taxpayers and others, according to a report. "
Here's the rest: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090402/ap_on_re_us/frequent_er_patients

I snickered at that because that honestly isn't a lot. My husband works in EMS and just ONE person in his territory calls 911, uses the ambulance EVERY time and goes to the ER a total of no less than 1095 PER YEAR for the past 20+ years. That's OVER $1,095,000, on average for ONE PERSON in ONE YEAR (not including the ambulance bill)..I won't even multiply it by 20 years..you get the picture. There are HUNDREDS of people in his city alone that do the SAME thing (it's a country-wide problem). Do you think we can still afford UHC for ALL despite this? It really worries me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• And to answer OP's question. No, we don't have enough money. Look at every social program the gov't has implemented... Now which of those have a strong fiscal outlook? Which are managed effectively?  IMO~The Gov't will run out of money and I bet within 8 years Obama and Democrats will be taxing those making over $50,000/yr. Medicare and Social Sec are set to start running out of money in the next 7-10 years.  Maybe Obama should have reformed those programs FIRST before he went on a spending spree for NEW programs?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• OP here. I wanted to clarify that the $1,095,000 per year x 20+ years (not including the ambulance and EMS services) is being paid for by tax-dollars.
    Anonymous

• And if they had better health coverage and preventative health care, maybe they wouldn't be using the ER.
    Imaginaryfriend

Answer by Imaginaryfriend at 12:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• UHC won't happen and if it does it will kill us
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I know people with insurance who run to the ER for everything there is no cure for stupid. One of my husbands co workers has been to the ER 15 times in three months. For stupid things like a slight pain here or a slight fever. He has free insurance like we do from the company. He has no co pay for ER visits so he goes there. The same will happen with UHC.
    Anonymous

• If there was a better option of health insurance that was aimed at providing adequate coverage for people and families rather than isurance companies getting rich-this wouldn't be a problem.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• People obviously need to pay for some part of their health care, a deductible maybe.
    Maybe that will cut down on some of the abuse of the system.

As far as the cost of UHC, why worry about a budget.
    America cannot afford it, no matter what, but that reality doesn't matter.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

----------------
    I'm not sure what you mean. If all of these people are on medicaid (as the article says and I said), they're already getting health coverage which INCLUDES coverage for preventative care. They're using the ER as their regular care. They're not going there because of emergencies lol.

Anon 2:16 is correct, THAT is why people go to the ER. It is easier and for many insurances and state medicaids, it is cheaper than going to the doctor because the doctor has a co-pay, the ER doesn't.

MustbeGRACE, why wouldn't you care about debts we'd be racking up for our children and children's children to deal with?

JennRN....why wouldn't it be a problem? That makes no sense. Insurance for families wouldn't take away the people that abuse the system and cost us billions each year.
    Anonymous

--------------------
    Why? If we're comparing ourselves to other countries with UHC, they don't have to pay deductibles. Why should we? Where are the people on medicaid going to get money for a deductible? Aren't they on medicaid because they DON'T have money? Problem not solved. Problem still exists.
    Anonymous

• Imagin: And if they had better health coverage and preventative health care, maybe they wouldn't be using the ER.

In most cases Prev. HC is about making good choices. Resources are avail. FREE TODAY. Why aren't people utilyzing them NOW?  Why must they be handheld by the government? 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2009