What would be the effects on a person or child's health of living in a home where nicotine/tar was seeping through the paint on the walls?

We have been here since October. My husband smokes but ONLY outside. My kids started getting sick several months ago in the middle of winter. Mostly it always seems like allergies and then too much fluid accumulates and ends up as an ear infection or bronchitis. Both my kids are under 3 years old. Idk if this would be causing this problem or not. We are not only in a new apartment but a new climate too. My kids have never been sick this much... I just wish there were more I could do. I have humidifiers running and we eat well and exercise. I know they are planning to paint for us (one of the reasons we chose and apartment! have someone else foot the bill for things like this!) but if need be I'll scrub the walls before then. Everything I have read said it would just come back... and I am kinda worried about them thinking they don't have to paint if I do that... But hey if it makes us better!!! Any ideas??

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 12:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Health

• Are you sure that it is nicotine and tar coming through?? Could there be mold anywhere? If you clean the walls and use KILZ primer on the walls that should take care of the problem if it is tar/nicotine...
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 12:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The supervisor guy who does repairs said it looked like nicotine... and I have seen several pictures online that say this also. But if it could be mold I'd love to test to find out. Maybe I should order a kit online? Do they still make those kits? Idk... it's really gross! And I am certain they will KILZ cause I will be a pita to them if it comes back!! :P  Do you think it could cause illness though??

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 12:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2009