How do I get my 4 month old to take a bottle of formula?

My daughter will take breastmilk from the bottle but not formula. She started out taking the formula from the bottle, but now she fights it. I have even tried mixing the formula with breastmilk, that didn't work. I am not giving up, just need some more advise.
I have to be back at work in a month, and she will be going to the sitters.

Jen0508

Asked by Jen0508 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-8 Credits)
  • Pump and store it. Or try a sippy with formula.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My son was the same way. He refused to drink formula probably because it is yucky and he had been used to breastmilk. I couldn't provide him with the amount of breastmilk he needed so he really had no choice but to get used to it. It took a little while but he eventually started drinking the bottle without a problem.
    Ashley53

Answer by Ashley53 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Formula is disgusting compared to breast milk. Have you ever tasted it? Take fenugreek capsules and mother's tea to help boost your supply. Also use warm compresses while you pump to help get as much milk out as you can. Nurse and pump as often as you can to tell your body to produce more. If you still aren't pumping enough, look into donor milk. There are plenty of women on this site alone who are willing to share. That way, your baby will never have to use formula. It's nasty, expensive, and hard on baby bodies. So it's not a bad thing if baby refuses it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Just give it time. My friend just switched her 9 month old to formula and she said it took a while, but he finally just gave in one day and took it.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Your most likely NOT going to like my answer on this.. But I had the SAME problem with mine. I nursed her since she was 5 min old and wanted to also supplement with formula at about 3-4 mnts so I could go back to work but she just WASNT having that lol. I tried for mnts on end and I jst eventually gave up.... She is 15 mnts now and has been off nursing for 3 mnts now, it was wierd cause when she turned 1 I gave her a bottle of Whole Milk with her birthday cake and she sucked it right down and has LOVED it ever since but would NOT have anything to do with the formula.. I guess just some babies dont like the way it taste!
    3greatkids751

Answer by 3greatkids751 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I knew you would get at least one answer on how to continue exclusively breastfeeding or telling you to use donor milk (not as easy as it sounds) rather than actually answering your question. I mean, breast IS best, but people should answer your question, not give you unasked for advice. If you've decided to supplement with formula, people need to respect that, whether they agree with it or not.

I don't have experience with this particular issue, but I would suggest possibly trying another formula brand. If that doesn't work, I guess he'll drink it when he gets hungry enough. Wish I had a better suggestion.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 8:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Sorry, I was saying "he" instead of "she." Oops.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 8:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Thanks for all of your advice. I had a break though with her yesterday. I am still breastfeeding, I pump and give it to her in the bottle. After posting the anwser she wouln't take the breastmilk from the bottle. After an hour and half she gave in and took it. After that she took all the other bottles even one with formula. I need her to take the bottle, so I can go back to work. I work nights, so my husband needs to give her the bottle of formula. Then both kids go to daycare, and she needs to take a bottle for the sitter. I will pump at work and then driver over to the sitters in the morning to give her breastmilk. I am lucky I only work 2 nights a week. Thanks again
    Jen0508

Answer by Jen0508 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2009