For all fellow animal lovers

Have any of you had to give your dogs away after having a baby? I really love my dogs but my husband is fed up with them for some really good reasons. Also we have to relocate for 5 months and it's going to be really hard with the dogs and baby. I really don't want to give them away! But I understand where my husband is coming from. Has anyone had to deal with this delima? We have a black lab and german shepard mix

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Kind of. We put our dog to sleep after our son was about 5 months old. It was really hard to do... but our dog had major health complications that weren't going to get better and she was getting worse and we didn't have the time to spend with her like we did before. I would have been happier to give her to someone that could have taken care of her... but no one wanted her, she was too sick.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have two cats, and i'm on the verge of placing them with my best friends mom's adoption agency. It's going to be hell to give them up, but my baby has really bad allergies, so I don't really have another option. Her meds aren't helping, so it's our last resort. If you can, place them with a Humane Society, or other adoption agency or no-kill shelter. At least you'll be able to rest easy knowing they won't be euthanized. My mom HATES cats, and has been on me ever since I got the first (3 years ago) to "get rid" of her, but pets are not disposable, so I totally understand how hard of a decision this is for you and your family.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I had to give up my yellow lab right before I had the baby :( She was an awesome dog but was very hyper and she chewed up things. It was extremely hard to give her away, but I found her a good home.
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yeah, I had to give up my PitBull right before the baby is born for obvious reasons. lol. it was really hard, and I had a hard time finding a good home. But she went to a young couple with no kids who had another pitbull and they were extremely loving. But it is really hard
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009