Overwhelmed by my garden!

There is so much I have to do to clean up my gardens from the fall and winter. I didn't do much with them last year as I had some severe depression going on. Now I need to get motivated and get to work!

Anyone else overwhelmed by how much work there is to do in the garden?

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 12:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes, we moved our garden and tremendously increased it's size this year. It went from being about a 20 sq. foot garden to an acre garden. So that meant new fences around it, preparing new soil and all of that. Yes, I am overwhelmed but just keep plugging along.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 7:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Yes, as much as I enjoyed my garden- getting my hands in the earth, the fragrances, the wonderfully fresh vegetables, it was stresfful to keep it weeded and tended to, to take care of spent plants and diseased plants and vegetables. I finally had to give up the garden because I just couldn't keep up with it. At first I thought I might try again in a year or so, maybe with a smaller garden or fewer vegetable varieties, but I haven't so far. If you still want your garden, try either making it smaller, or fewer types of vegetables. Something else I tried was vegetables with shorter seasons, so that by late summer the garden was finished, as opposed to vegetables that ran into the Fall. I even just did Spring and early summer vegetables- no long season vegetables. (more)

Answer by Bmat at 12:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• To make your garden easier to care for, try newspaper mulch- lay down several layers of black and white newspaper and anchor them down with soil around the edges plus rocks. or black plastic mulch, which is easy but has the disadvantage of not being biodegradable and still needs to be well anchored or the wind will whip it away. or use about 8 inches of straw. Lay the straw down all over the garden and pull it apart to expose the soil where you plant. As the plants get bigger, then heap up the straw around them. This is nice because it is organic. All of these methods will help with weed control.

Answer by Bmat at 12:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yes I have a few acres and it's overwelming too. Not all of its a garden only partial but its still alot to do. Mowing and weed eating, pulling weeds, replanting, hhhhhhhh
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Right now I'm not overwhelmed. I just wish I had more money to buy more plants to make the backyard look halfway decent.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 9:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would love to go out and purchase plants already started but I don't think my budget will allow that this year. A friend sent me a wonderful gift with 4 packages of flower seeds though! So I am going to try and start those in little peat pots and then replant them in my gardens.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2009