Are dimples genetic?

All 3 kids of mine have dimples and I have always thought they were genetic. The only thing is neither my DH nor I have dimples, so how is this possible. No bashing please. If you think this is a dumb question, just skip over to the next one. THANKS!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes ma'm they sure are...somewhere back in your gene pool or his someone had them. Would be interesting to dig and try to find out who it was.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Dimples are actually a muscle deformity. I have them and learned that its because the muscles in my face did not form correctly and thats what causes them to dimple. As for if they are genetic or not? Maybe? It could be something in you are your husbands genes that is causing the muscles to not form right but I have no idea...that is just a guess. I feel lucky though...its one of the cutest deformities around!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-dimples.htm
    salexander

• sometimes it will skip a generation or two. Like both of my parents have dark brown hair but I don't and my mom told me it was from my great-grandma and that why I was my grandmas favorite. I miss her too. =(
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i agree with ash.. i heard one day they were a "defect" and was like what? my son has dimples lol. defect my behind. (: but i agree thats also what i heard.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• On the right person they can be a very yummy deformity! Can you say Jeffery Dean Morgan?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Like with any trait, it is either dominant or recessive. If you and your hubby don't have dimples but your kids do, you probably both carry dimples as a recessive gene somewhere in your DNA.

I've got dimples just like my mom, and my son has one half dimple like his dad. I'm guessing that in my family dimples are dominant in females... but I don't have any daughters yet to prove my theory....
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Image and video hosting by TinyPic Now them are some yummy deformities!!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My grandmother has dimples; my daughter has one and my son has two.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 1:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have 2 dimples, my daughter only has one. I wish I had none, cause you know you gotta go through life with people going, "Aw, look at those dimples!", lol.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 2:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009