45 minute nap intruder!

My lo keeps waking up 45 minutes in to her nap. How do I get her to go back to sleep? If I let her wake up after 45 minutes than she's grumpy because she didn't get enough sleep. She's 6 months btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you leave her alone she may go back to sleep on her own. Just a thought.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• See if she'll go back to sleep on her own. Wait a few minutes before going in to check on her.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• That's a common problem. Between 30 and 45 minutes is when they reach a light stage of their sleep cycle (which is 90 minutes long). My first daughter woke up at 30 minutes from about 4-7 months like clockwork. I tried letting her put herself back to sleep, darkening her room, white noise, nursing her back to sleep... absolutely nothing worked. She outgrew it, finally. My second daughter wouldn't do it every time, but it was always at 45 minutes when she did. She would put talk or fuss herself back to sleep about 50% of the time. But if I went in and tried to nurse or soothe her back to sleep, it was all over. It's definitely worth trying that. Some days she would go back to sleep and sleep for 3 hours! Others it would be a no-go and we'd just end up trying 3 naps that day. Babies are different. But give her the chance to put herself back to sleep, even if it's with a little fussing (not all-out crying)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would try to let her be for a few minutes and see if she goes back to sleep. If that isn't working I would look at when you are putting her down. Is she going to sleep 1-2 hours after waking? If you are putting her down too late and not hitting her "window" it might cause the nap to be shorter. If nothing else works I would just put her down for her second nap a little earlier. Like closer to 1 1/2 after she woke from the first. Good sleep timing seems like it is a lot of trial and error. Good Luck!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 2:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2009