e series savings bonds

I have no idea how those things work. I was given one in high school for seventy five bucks for an award, and it's been tucked away since. My parents said to save it for years down the road....but what I am supposed to do with it?

McGregor

Asked by McGregor at 12:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can check the value of it now. These stop growing after a certain time. Google it to find the website where you can find the value of it. And these can be cashed at a bank.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The e series savings bond mature to full value after 19 years. That may have changed however I do not believe so. Instead of buying my kids a lot of toys for Christmas and their birthdays I had the releatives purchase savings bonds throughout the years. Our oldest son has about $6000 dollars worth and the others have a good amout as well. This will be helpful down the line for them and I did not have to clean up and throw away a lot of cheap toys that my kids did not need.

When you buy a savings bond they are 1/2 price until they mature. So when the $75 bond was purchased it only cost the purchaser $37.50 You can take your savings bond to your bank and ask them how much it is worth now.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 1:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009