need advice about craiglist from people who have actually used it before

I got an email this morning from someone wanting to use Alertpay and they said that they would pay $50 more for shipping. I've never sold anything online and I don't want to get scammed, anyone out there that has any comments or knowledge about Alertpay and or about accepting offers? Thanks so much!

busygirl247

Asked by busygirl247 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Shopping

• i would not use alert pay, i use craigslist all the time. i would tell them either paypal or a direct deposit to your acct, or a moneygram. that sounds like a scam to me. no one i know of uses alert pay, only paypal.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 1:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Never heard of it. Bought and sold lots of time on Craigslist. But never accepted anything but cash in person at a public place for the exchange. I would be very leary of this one.
    Yebbers

Answer by Yebbers at 1:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I use craigslist for local sales only, they can pick up and pay cash. I would use Ebay and Paypal for selling things you are going to ship.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Never ship. Most of the time it is a scam...especially when they want to pay you more than what it should cost to ship the item. When dealing with Craigslist, only deal locally. Cash upon pick-up is my rule. No cash, no purchase. I only meet during the day time and not at my home, perferrably somewhere very public. You don't know who you are dealing with. Good luck to you. Read all the "alerts" and "cautions" posted on Craigslist.

Anonymous

• Its a scam, don't do it. Cash only, period. Seriously.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• SCAM, SCAM!!!! RUN AWAY!
    ONLY CASH ON CRAIGSLIST. ONLY LOCAL... Craigslist is "really good". You have to be aware of the scams out there though. If you stay Local pickup, Cash only! You will do fine if stay in those guidelines. I've reported alot to Craigslist fraud because I use it alot, but they can't keep them out.
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I've accepted Money Orders out of state before on stuff that I was selling that was rare but I waiting until it was received and had cleared in my bank first. I'd say this is a scam. Cash only in person in a public place is the best way to go about it. Take the cash first then hand them the item :) GL!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 3:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• you can google Alertpay & it will tell you exactly what it is. Its just like paypal. Alertpay is based in canada is the only difference. The U.S. & canada cross borders alot in the northern states. Its not unheard of & Alertpay is an upstanding company. If you pull up the site, go the the bottom of the page to contact us..they have a phone number that you can talk to a live rep...just because its not a common household word, doesnt mean its not good. I use Alert pay on one of my web-sites, its not over populated, so the money transfers are fast & smooth and the customer service is great! plus paypal got its fame from ebay..with out that, you'd be wondering what paypal was...do your research!
    Anonymous

• I have been approached to ship items I have on craigslist. In both cases they paid me via paypal and I shipped the items.
    Alert Pay is similar to Paypal although their guidelines are a little different.
    They probably just have money in an Alert Pay account and don't want to withdraw it.
    As long as you don't ship the item until the money is in your account I think you are fine.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i have alertpay, it is a BBB member.... it works like paypal.... in alertpay, you have the feature to set it to only accept alertpay non credit card payment...which paypal don't have... what this do is to restrict your alertpay account to receive payment from real balance, therefore, protecting your from credit card reversal fraud register for a personal starter account to avoid most fees... Alertpay

savingjmom

Answer by savingjmom at 7:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2009