Has this happened to you?

My friend who was hoping for a home birth ended up going to the hospital, having 2 episiotomies, then still having to go in for a c sectionn (her cervix is only big enough to birth a 3-4 lb baby).
anyway.... once they got inside of her there was so much merconium that the baby, placenta, and everything else inside of her was totally stained green. Her 8 lb baby is now in the nicu because there was so much merconium in his lungs.
Has anyone else been through this? Was your baby okay? Any long term side effects?
The midwife saw that her water had merconium, but said that it was normal. It was about 12 hours after that they went to the hospital.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had never had that happen to me.. But im planning on haveing a home birth myself. When I went into labor with my 3rd daughter and they broke my water they said it had merconium in it and said it was compleately normal as long as they get the baby out safe and the heart rate doesnt start acting funny. Well I had her within like 5 min of them breaking my water and 5 min of pushing but they called the neonatel ICU down there just in case anything did happen and they stood by untill she was born then looked her over and said she was fine. I havent had it that bad though and they are most likely watchin her to see if the babys going to get any sorta infectioin. They sould have gotten her out way before then though.. I dunno and sorry I couldnt be of anymore help. Good Luck..
    3greatkids751

Answer by 3greatkids751 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Sorry this happened to your friend... I know meconium can be a worry, but I haven't heard of anything the docs couldn't make better... I think the midwife should have been more concerned in the first place, but that's just my gut reaction...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I delivered my son at a hospital and during labor my water broke and the nurse said "oh, you have some muconium in there' but said nothing else about it because it is fairly common for a baby to have a bm during the stress of labor. Well 10 hours later I had my son and right when I began to push my room was full of emegency NICU staff. That is when they informed me that my baby would be taken away immediatley to be checked for muconium in his lungs... Well, after tests and x-rays they found that the muconium had been inhaled into his lungs and it looked like pneumonia. He was immediately sent to a larger hospital in our state which focuses on childrens health. He was in the NICU for 2 weeks getting IV antibiotics and such. He was fine after that. We have had some issues with his breathing which they say will probably be asthma. other than that he is a healthy 4 year old.
    1swtmomma

Answer by 1swtmomma at 3:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2009