Why won't my beans behave?

I have these beans and whenever I prepare them according to the package directions they try to germinate in the food I am making!! even after boiling the little snots twice! what gives? how do I keep this from happening? should I boil them repeatedly? I've never had any trouble with other beans except these ones from the food center. Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Your beans are probably elderly. That can be a real problem.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:56 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• After boiling them they still send out shoots? Boiling should destroy the germinating ability. I can see that they'd maybe split, but there shouldn't be any little shoots starting to grow. Esepcially if you boil for, say, a half hour or more? Maybe call the company and ask? or ask at the food center?

Answer by Bmat at 1:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I've not heard of this happening. However, when I prepare my beans, I do the following:
    1. Place them in cold water.
    2. Bring them to a rolling boil.
    3. Turn the fire OFF and let them soak at least two hours.
    4. Then, I cook them.

Maybe this process will help.
    Angebor

Answer by Angebor at 1:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I don't think you are making sense. that is not possible!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• OP: It is possible and it happens every dang time!!!
    Anonymous

• are you talking about dried beans? Legumes? They are sprouting? Is that what you mean by germinating after cooking??? I really do not understand. how long do you boil them? once they are cooked they cannnot srout! which is what germination is.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• OP: yesterday's failed batch was boiled for an hour and a half (three times what the bags instructions say). I think my problem is that it doesn't soften them which apparently indicates they are "dead". I boiled this latest one for half the day (about 6 hours) and it is finally soft. we will see how it goes.
    Anonymous