How do you find TOP doc's?

I always hear people say that they are seeing the "top" specialist for whatever...but my question is...how do you really know who the top specialists are? Many online referral sites have the docs pay to be on them or if it's not a paid or member-only referral site, few, if any patients will have written reviews. Most docs have not had actual action taken against them for issues - they have settled through malpractice insurance - so we can't find out who they are. I have a OBGYN horror story and it turns out the doc had settled MANY malpractice suits and people knew about his inadequacy, but it is taboo and maybe illegal to warn patients about a bad doc, unless he has had formal action against him. So anyway I am looking for a pediatric dermatologist for my dd, I want a top doc, but don't have any idea on how to find one. (and I don't know anyone who has seen a dermatologist, much less a pediatric one)....Any ideas?

andj606

Asked by andj606 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Health

• I've been most happy getting my kids top pediatric docs from more nationally well known hospitals that are further away distance wise but still in network. I've had too many bad experiences in local hospitals with my kids. No more.
    Anonymous