whats the best way to plant herbs so they don't die right away?

I planted so herbs they grew nice intil i watered and sunlight then the next day they passed away ugh.. i think its telling me i don't have a green figer for the herbs but the other plants grew fine like my pumpkins..lol..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I want to know these also.Ii planted herbs last year in my house. When I tried to plant them outside they died.
    Yellowrose9

Answer by Yellowrose9 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Maybe the Ph of the soil is off. I think they sell things at the store so you can test it. Simple things like that can really disrupt plants!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• never happened to me. I usually put them in a pot near the window for a while to let them get used to their new container, then i put them outside. My friend Lori has great success w/ seeds. She just throws all kinds of herb seeds in her pots on her deck. They grow great, & most of them come back every year. What kind of herbs are you growing? Basil? If yes, then make sure the soil gets a lil dry before watering. Too much water will kill basil. Mine are not doing so well righ now because it's been raining every day....they look like they are turning yellow. But, we will have sun the next 2 days, so maybe they'll pick up some. Good luck!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• They need to be hardened off. Set them in their pots outside in light sunlight, water every day, since a pot will dry out quickly, Do this for a few days. Then they will be ready to be planted.

Plant them on an overcast day and water deeply. For the next few days, or even on the first day if you want to plant them when it is sunny, provide light shade, such as as piece of cardboard between them and the sun so that they don't get baked but still have plenty of air. Water every morning until they catch on.

Answer by Bmat at 1:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• mmmmm
    Anonymous

• I dunno, I just buy them and chuck them out in the garden and have fresh herbs all summer and dry them in the fall, and have fresh dried all winter...
    Anonymous

• If you plant herbs by seed indoors try keeping a smal fan near them to keep the sprouts from getting something called dampening off syndrome. This will make the young plants stronger and more tolerant to outside conditions. If you plant the seeds outside directly, make sure you plant them when it is warm, herbs need very warm temperatures until they become established and then they last forever.
    I planted herbs around my flowerbeds last summer in June, and they are now coming back up almost double in size. Keep trying, it's worth the effort!
    Anonymous