how do you get your little ones to sleep?

I nurse both of my kids to sleep but I'm tryin to get my 2 year old to sleep without nursing. Any sugestions? ( NOT CIO)

NoahsMomma418

Asked by NoahsMomma418 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Will he/she take a bottle? I give my 2yo a no spill sippy with water in it to take to bed. She also has a nightstand so she knows when she is done drinking to put it up. We are slowly taking that away now, and exchanging it for dolls or stuffed animals she can hug. I've also noticed that she doesn't need anything to sleep if I give her lots of attention and cuddles just before bed.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 1:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I usually give mine a cup of milk and put on a cartoon, anh he falls asleep on his own. I go on after a few minutes and leave him a sippy of water. he usually sleeps all nite then.
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 2:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I still rock my 2 yo to bed every night. Since I don't breast feed this simulates that closeness. I haven't been able to get him to go to sleep on his own, but his daddy can. One thing I have noticed is that since we got rid of the pacifier he sleeps much better throughout the night.
    BrendansMom134

Answer by BrendansMom134 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• A bottle's no good, either, because at this point you're looking at serious risks for their teeth if you don't brush them after any kind of milk. Try switching their routine so they have their last feeding like right after their bath, then brush teeth, read a book, and have some quiet singing in the dark. This closeness can help get them relaxed. Then if you have to sit in the room with them for a few days till they fall asleep, you should be able to stop that soon enough. That said, my experience with this has been at around 6 or 7 months, not a 2 years.... maybe someone else has dealt with this at this age?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• We have a 2 & a 3 yr old. We read a few books, then we rock them a few minutes. Then we just put them in their beds and they lay down go to sleep.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I know this is bad but we watch a movie together and cuddle. I also have a toddler who only nurses about once a week and a 9 month old.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 9:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2009