8 year old bedroom.. Gotta Q

We're buying a new house in June, and I wanted to know how you do your kids bedrooms.. Before my 8 yr old stepson had a room full of spongebob.. Had it since he was 6 but now, he grows in and out of things so fast, I didn't want to do another character.. I had some really cute things picked out, but I know he'll be a little bit dissapointed if it's not Star Wars-Clone Wars or Phineas and Ferb.. Are yalls kids rooms like a character, or just maybe a color of choice? Thanks!

PeytonsMom21109

Asked by PeytonsMom21109 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you want to keep changing his bedding and decor every 2-3 years, then do a character. I prefer to not spend that money, and choose a color theme.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 1:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Why not paint the room one of his favorite colors... then put shelves up maybe one above a window.. several scattered on the walls... place some of his past and current characters on them.
    also try getting him a full size futton and a desk... in a shade of color lighter or a bit darker than his walls... and if he really wants to have a character do it with his curtains only... and a few wall decals that go on and off easily... curtains you can change out and can find inexpensive ones too and decals peal off.... but the room will maintain it's orginal color ... I have an 8 yr old too and he is into Nascar and you know the colors of those cars...LOL... ugh... his room is going to be almost rainbow ...LOL.... have fun...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thanks gmasboy.. I think thats what I'm going to do! I just had the whole room that he's in now, all decorated out in spongebob, because he was really into it for a long time.. and now he goes from show to show.. and just in case money did get tight, i didn't want to have to change the whole room in a hurry, because he was suddenly unhappy with it.. LOL..
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My son is 9yrs old. We are getting ready to paint his room again....This time, we are painting it tan...with camoflauge bedspread, curtains, and whatever else we can find. We figured if his room is tan, we could change the decor when needed.
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 2:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I love the way you said " yalls" are you from Texas? I am. anyhoo, my ten yeart olds room is in mostly camo, I painted it one week, my neck hurt for about another week, lol he has sports stuff mostly UT and wrestling posters. he's had his own room for about 5 years now and he's never complained but I think I can get away with not having to change it for a while. I think you should go with his personality, what fits him.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My kids just have white painted walls. We have Cars (the movie) curtain valances. Their bedsheets are various different characters. But there's no theme to their room. With the way trends change, and kids grow so fast, it's better to just do the sheets and curtains, things that can be easily changed to match the whims of the newest fad.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would go for a good color and framed posters if it were me. Posters are cheap and replaceable. If you can find a super soft bedding set it would be way better than any character ones anyhow.
    Iheartmamahood

Answer by Iheartmamahood at 4:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• If you have good wall space, they make chalkboard paint. Paint a section of it with that and he can decorate it any way he wants any time he wants.
    AutmnDreams

Answer by AutmnDreams at 11:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2009