Why are YOU an un-wed mother?

I thought I could let it go but I can't. it seems like since the high statistic of 2007 mothers came out every one thinks the world is going to end.

well I have news for you. Our life is cheaper as an un-married couple. we choose to be this way and we will grow old together. married or not.

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 1:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm not married because I didn't want to become that stereotypical "got pregnant & got married" kind of girl. We got pregnant when I was barely 18 & had our daughter when I was almost 19 - true we were young, but I just couldn't stand to conform and do what is expected. Marriage for the sake of a baby never turns out right for anyone - so we've waited until we felt the timing is right for us as a couple & not just parents.

Our daughter will be 2 when we finally tie the knot later this year - and we're getting married only because we want to now. If the timing wasn't right, we would've remained single. Happiness is the biggest thing to me + I don't see how marriage has anything to do with parents, and a family, being truly HAPPY!
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• thats good because I don't think you have to marry someone to love them. My parents have been together for 25 years and still together and they're not married.
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• and I also agree with mommaruth07 too!
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I JUST had a fight with my best friend over this. I announced my pregnancy last Saturday, and she had an asshole reaction, just like last time. She said, "You need to do right by your kids and get married." I sent her an e-mail saying the following, "I don't spank them, I sit with DD1 every night to help with homework, My DF and I have health insurance, life insurance, and we spend quality time with them, how am I not doing right by them again?" I STILL haven't gotten a response from her. We have crappy credit. I am SCARED to get married! There are all these LABELS I'd have to change my last name. If we make a mistake (physical or financial), we'd have to get a divorce (divorcee). If I die, he becomes a widower, if he dies, I become a widow. Everyone I know with children are either miserable or divorced already. Why put my kids through that? I love my DF and I love having kids with him. Marriage doesn't ALWAYS make it right.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 2:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• At least someone else thinks you don't have to get married to be happy. I mean if you want to then thats your choice but I know I don't wanna get married either because of all those reasons she ^ posted.
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• More power to you. I was raised in a home that my mom and her bf just lived together and swore I'd never ever do it to my kids.
    Anonymous

• I dont think there is anything wrong with being in a relationship with kida and not being married So freakin;' what! Its nobodys business anyways and for all the single moms out there there great too!
    Anonymous

• Hon your fine. I have been with my husband since 2/08 -- but we tied the knot and got eloped just recently 3/31. Its what your comfortable with. We eloped, way cheaper..we save money for the baby this way. Expecting our first. And were both just turning 18. I mean, live how you want to live regardless. People who talk bad about you and hate on you are probably just jealous! :)
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 3:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• because i'm not married..duh
    Anonymous

• Honestly, we were planning our wedding, I got pregnant, and we both decided that I would feel a lot better about the wedding pictures if I could fit into the dress I wanted, so we're waiting until after our daughter is born. We're just as commited as if we were already married, so I see no harm.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 5:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009