How do i know if my 1 year old is lactose intolerant?

We started giving him milk at 12 months like the dr said, and hes been getting diareah. Is this normal because he just has to get use to it or do u think hes lactose intolerant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If that's the only symptom, I would say talk to your dr. My 1yo dd was waking up screaming arching back and couldn't be comforted by anything. So we put her on soy, and she doesn't do that anymore. My dr said it may not be lactose intolerant but more that her stomach isn't used to the proteins in cows milk so once a month we will try again. Good luck!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 1:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The way I realized it was that he stopped sleeping - he would wake up crying and you could always hear noises in his tummy - and he was more irritable - and then the ezcema on his butt got VERY bad. when I switched to soy he started sleeping again and then I stopped cheese and yogurt a he finally on his own started going poop. which has been his struggle since birth - i talked to my Ped and he won't do allergy testing cause its not very accurate at this age so I just watch for reactions.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You should think about getting your son allergy tested. My son was tested at 11 months and they do test even younger. The skin tests aren't the most accurate, but if you get a positive reading, you will know that your child has an allergy. If you get a negative test, that is when you will either want to try a blood test or just eliminate the dairy and see if the symptoms improve.

Also, get a recommendation for a pediatric allergist. They are more in tune with working with infants and toddlers. Most pediatricians actually do not know too much about food allergies.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2009