walking shoes question???????????

im goin to get my ds walking shoes i was curiouse where i should get them what kind and how neccesary they are. i have heard different things from get him converse to stride right. please help.

kmsmommy430

Asked by kmsmommy430 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd go with soft soled shoes. Robeez or Target brand Robeez, or Pedi Peds.... etc.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• No need for "walking shoes". They need soft protection, but, nothing to constrict the growth of their feet or the natural movement.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Only necessary if they'll be practicing walking outside. My daughter was learning to walk in April-May so we had her out at the playground a lot... she just wore regular shoes (she was in size 4 already) and she learned to walk fine, though lots of moms swear by the soft ones.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The reason you need to use soft shoes is because they don't constrict the growth of the baby's foot. In those sneakers, there isn't room for movement, so their foot shapes to the shoe rather than growing the way it would otherwise. It also makes it harder for them to balance themselves and correct their movements, because they don't have the freedom to move their foot that they do in soft shoes. My daughter always used soft-soled shoes (Robeez or Target brand) until she was a little over a year old (started walking at 9 months). It was never an issue on any surface.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• If he's going to be learning to walk inside I'd say don't waste your money on walking shoes. I think babies learn to walk faster when they're barefoot. We bought my son a pair of walking shoes and he only wore them once. Now he's walking very well in all kinds of shoes. Tennis shoes, sandals, dress shoes. If he's learning and is going to be outside a lot i'd be kind of nervous about him walking in soft shoes. If he steps on something sharp hard enough it may not be as protective as a hard soled shoe.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 3:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• For indoors - let him go barefoot. That is the best for learning to walk and for proper foot development. If you want something for warmth, try socks with grippy bottoms (Target) or shoes like Robeez (Target sells some too).
    For outdoors - if he is going to be walking in grass, soft soled shoes like Robeez are fine. If he is going to be walking in dirt, rocks, long walks down sidewalks, then you need shoes with very flexible soles. Stride Rite is good but any shoe that is VERY flexible will be OK. Make sure they are low tops so his ankle is free to develop on it's own.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i would recomend somethinglike Nike w/hardsoles because this helps them with their balance, i believe. thats what i bouught my son now 3 and he didnt want to walk if he didnt have them on he would bring me the shoes to put on him them he would feel comfortable.
    sandraurrutia86

Answer by sandraurrutia86 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Livie and Luca are awesome, they are sturdy but also very flexible as well. They are also cute and they are comfortable because my son loves to wear his everywhere we go.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 7:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009