Will you order these? I am

Considering the times...have you girls heard about this?
http://www.survivalseedbank.com/

We just ordered a couple "kits"....

mamakirs

Asked by mamakirs at 2:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have seeds for just in case. I got them from a local farmer. I have 1000's of them actually. I also have a years worth of canned food I canned myself. I can every year and rotate stuff out so I always have the newest in my bunker/cellar. What I have is a revamped bunker from the 60s. We had it completely redone and it is fully stocked with all we need in the even the world fell apart. We have seeds, food, water, candles, batteries, lots of first aide supplies and many other items for just in case. Some think we are nuts but when a tornado came through and destroyed our town we had water and supplies for our neighbors. I think the seeds are a great idea but I got mine for free.
    Anonymous

• I think you got ripped off. Cancel your order and go to your local farmer's co op and buy your seeds by the scoop for about 10-15 cents each. City folk, so funny.
    Anonymous

• I would never buy that, that is super expensive. Reminds me of the story Jack and the Beanstalk. Regular old 10cents a paxk seeds would grow just as well :)

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Too expensive to even bother.. and to anon 2:05- im one of those "city folk" you speak of and I do know better. Hehe.
    Anonymous

• city folk..boy you know know my very well do you? I actually found out about this through our Grange hall meeting...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I'm sorry my first post sounds sarcastic, but the fear angle on this is causing you to get ripped off. First of all the seeds that they are giving you are not even compatible. The spinach has to be grown in sandy soil, the carrots have to be grown in sandy or loamy soil, the beans are more apt to southern hot dry climates and the corns are not compatible for pollination. You cannot plant them near each other. The radishes and peas should have already been planted along with the greens and you can forget shelling all those pea/bean varieties.
    I can only laugh when I imagine how many people buy these kits, and find themselves shelling 300lbs. of peas/dry beans all summer long for recipes they've never made before.

I'm in the Delta, and grew up picking peas, and somedays picking cotton seemed easier. You might want to ask for a refund and forget that whole idea. You have no idea what you are getting into.
    Anonymous

• I just load up at the end of the year on clearance seeds.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I don't think the OP is buying them to grow this year. Maybe I am wrong or misunderstand but how I understand it these are for emergency situations. Sorry OP if I am wrong.
    I think it might be a good idea really. Everyone knows you don't get very good quality seeds from the supermarket.
    Anonymous

• Do you need 400 spinach plants or 300 cabbage plants or 40 squash? Do you eat that much? Are you going to live on spinach and cabbage and carrots and beets? No, go to the grocery store and buy a pkt of seeds for things you are going to actually eat. Don't waste your time and energy on growing stuff you and your family will never eat. One or two tomato plants will provide more than enough for your whole family for a year, and then some. How many eggplant do you eat a year? This is unrealistic. . Unless you plan to survive on what you make trying to sell zucchini at the local farmer's market, (and you usually can't PAY people to take them off your hands) leave this alone. It really is a rip-off.
    Anonymous

• If you have the land to use for this you would be better off buying a milk cow and a couple dozen hens. You can grow all the veggies and herbs you need in a 40' X 40' kitchen garden.
    Anonymous