Neighbors personal business is not so personal?!!!? What would you do?

We just moved into a nice newer apartment and are not used to having neighbors so close. They have what appears to be a very unhealthy relationship either yelling at eachother or having porn star LOUD sex right above our bedroom at ANY time of the day/night. You can hear the bed shaking, her moaning and yelling profanities while having sex and make out EVERY WORD.
Is this something that you just have to take with a grain of salt when you live in an apartment or should I say something? I am not sure that they know that we can hear every little detail of their lives? (I have heard from other neighbors that the top floor apartments can't hear the bottem floor ones.)
If I DO say something, what should I say? Please tone down your sex life? lol....

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 2:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Bang on the ceiling (their floor) with the broom when you hear them having loud sex. This should also clue them in that you can hear them arguing etc too.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Speak with the property manager. They can give you reasonable advice and step in as necessary.
    Anonymous

• A long time ago I lived in an apartment where it was so bad you could hear the neighbors phone ringing. I know how frustrating it is what you are going through. You could talk to them but in my own experience they got really resentful. I ended up paying 500 dollars extra to break my lease legally and moved into a two story town home. My leasing company was really not at all helpful. Maybe yours would be.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yes ,I would have a talk with the manager,and if that does'nt work,have a sex war,see who can be the loudest .just kidin.I know if I had kids,I would do something,I would'nt put up with it ,a chid does'nt need to hear that crap. Hope you get it straightened out.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• When DH and I first got married we lived in an apartment . Well, we were newly-weds so we did what most newly weds do. We had a lot of very loud sex. lol. Honestly we didn't know our neighbors could hear us. The guy mentioned it in a joking way one day (Something about were we finally able to get some sleep, and he was smiling so I knew he wasn't being mean about it.) I was embarrassed, but we toned it down. We weren't trying to be inconsiderate, I just really had no idea they could hear us. MAybe you could do something like that.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Don't try it yourself. Talk to the manager. If they can't help, then move.

Answer by Bmat at 2:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Leave a note taped to the door explaining how the walls are very thin and you don't want to embarrass them but you can hear their fighting and love-making through the walls and you thought they might want to know. Don't sign it.

A certain amount of noise is just part of living in apartments, but this kind of noise is ridiculous and the lease probably does say that the noise they make should not leave their apartment so if it does not change, complain to the manager, but don't get in a confrontation with these people.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Our neighbors across the hall are constantly in the throes of passion, hee hee. We just turn up the T.V and try to ignore it. They are young though, and it can go on for awhile, lol. I'd feel strange talking to my property manager about it though... We just grin and bear it. At least someone's having fun, lol.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 2:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Wish i lived there!
    Anonymous

• Talk to the property manager or leasing office. Explain to them that this is unacceptable. And if you have children you dont want them to be exposed to that. I would be really upset. First I would go to the leasing office (I know im my apartment complex it is required that you keep all noise to a minimum) and if that fails then I would go to the people and let them know that you could hear everything.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009