Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am the custodial parent for my kids. The costs of living and childcare are beyond my paycheck. I want to move out of state and closer to family and friends who can help me. The father gives no support. What has been the experience of other moms in getting permission from the court to relocate? What have been the biggest obstacles? Has anyone successfully represented themselves in a family court?

We live in CA.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (1)
  • You can motion to the court showing that you have good cause. It would support your case if you can get a place to live and a job set up in the town/state of your potential relocation. Does the father take advantage of his parenting time? If not then he wouldn't really have a sound reason to fight your move out of state. Oh, and if the move is less than 60 miles (in my papers) furthur distance from the other parent then you shouldn't have to get permission from the courts (check your papers for your specific mileage requirement). Be sure to inform the courts and the other parents with at least 30 days notice (unless otherwise stated in your papers) and be sure to register your custody case in your new state with the courts there. Good Luck!

    Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 5:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.