How do I get my 5yr old to use the bathroom at night?

My 5yr old DD still wets the bed at night. I try to cut her off from liquids at a particular time and make sure she uses the restroom before she goes to sleep but no matter what she either wakes up in a wet bed or if I put a pull up on her...a wet pull up. Please help mamas!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Start with the doctor, but understand a lot of kids bladders are just not ready to hold it for that length of time, and I bet your DD is a heavy sleeper so on top of her bladder not being ready she is missing the cues.

I would wake her during specific times at night and take her potty, especially if it is really bothering you. I just watched where doctor Sears said that holding back liquids doesn't really help much because the body still process's the liquids from the day at night. Honestly I wouldn't make a huge deal of it, if the doctor says that nothing is seriously wrong, I would just wait until her body is ready.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• thank you for replying. I've asked the doctor and she just suggested that it happens and she'll grow out of it. My daughter is a heavy sleeper...it doesn't bother me, it's just that I'm tired of hearing my mom and my MIL talk to me as if I'm doing something wrong. That's why I decided to post this question, just in case there was something I'm missing. Thank you again
    Anonymous

• its is normal for kids up to 11 yrs old to need to wear pull ups at night. Ignore your Mom and MIL.
    Let her wear the pull ups for night time. A good night sleep is much more important for her than your Mom and MIL opinion. She will out grow it.
    mammasamba

Answer by mammasamba at 9:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my friends boy had this problem and the doctor put him on a water dietary pill??? concerta i think. It is for older people who have trouble. But it works for him and they said he would grow out of it eventually but it would help for now??
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my daughters the same way..she'll be 5 the end of this month..she goes to bed between 8-9 and always pees before her bath or shower at 7, and then again before she actually gets into bed..and by 1230-1 shes wet..so i end up getting her up at about 1215 to take her to the bathroom..i also use bribbery too..if she keeps her bed dry she gets a popsicle the next day if she wets it, she doesnt...once in a bluemoon she gets up her self..but..9 times outta 10 i have to get her up before i go to bed..fun times huh??!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• It varies so much, don't worry about it. My guy was wearing underwear at night and staying dry shortly before his third birthday. My friends son is still wearing pull-ups at age 7. It's not a big deal, just keep practicing. It'll probably clear up soon enough but if it starts to bother her then there are options to train her to get up like alarms that go off if she starts to wet and so on.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• She may just sleep too hard to notice. My DD does the same thing. She won't wake up when she is wet.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I know a good night sleep is important but when my daughter was wetting the bed I had to wake her up a couple times a night and bring her to the potty to pee. She got the hang of it herself within a month and started going on her own. I know it sounds sad to wake her but you gotta do what you gotta do to set a routine. The pee routine lol Hope it works for you.
    faithsMoM27

Answer by faithsMoM27 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my 5 yr old allison does the samething at night........and i got to get her up and make her use the bathrom i hate doing that to her but have to so she don't wet the bed or me. Im a single mom and my allison sleeps with me........I hope she grows out of it when she gets older.
    allisonsmomm951

Answer by allisonsmomm951 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2009