Can someone better help me understand the 1800 Calorie Diet?

I am 6 months pregnant and the doctor put me on an 1800 calorie diet because he said i was ahead in my weight gain. From what i understand..... this is where you count your calories and do not take in more than 1800 a day. counting the calories will ultimately reduce your sugar and carb in take because they contain more calories. I am now drinking water for all meals but will have one of my kids juice boxes containing 60 calories along with a small snack. I have divided my meals into 3 meals a day and 3 snacks. Each meal I limit myself to 500 cal and snacks 100 this totaling up to 1800. I am finding that I am doing a less than 1800 cal but am full. So is it okay to eat like a smart ones pasta for lunch with 360 cal. and a water since it is in my cal limit for lunch?? I just want to make sure that i get this right. any advice would be great.

Ashley.herzing

Asked by Ashley.herzing at 2:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Personally I would try to get all 1800. You could always have that same pasta lunch, but with a drink that has nutrients like fat free milk, or real juice. Taking in vitamins should be a focus as well.
    Anonymous

• You can lose weight with the natural vitamin I take , let me know if you like more info? Many moms have and are losing weight. . Read my journal posts.. My sponsor lost 10 pounds with no exercise.. I have a lady under me who's pregnant and loves it! Perfectly safe if your pregnant or breastfeading.
    Have a great day!
    Jen
    uniquecandle27

Answer by uniquecandle27 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Smart ones are high in sodium. Try eating healthy fresh foods, whole grains, and low-fat or fat free dairy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Do not listen to the second poster. What a kook!!!!!

BradenIsMySon

• You should get all 1800 for your baby! I can't believe your dr is putting you on a diet, while you're pregnant.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Maybe she has been eating junk and not healthy.
    Anonymous

• No i have not been eating junk and am unhealthy. My first child was 9lbs 11 oz when he was born and was stuck in the birth canal. He is trying to eliminate that by monitoring my weight gain. I eat a lot of vegetables but they are home cooked by my mother in law and probably cooked the good ole southern way. I love them and I eat a lot of them. I also eat a lot of things that have a high carb count. but i am not unhealthy or eating junk. It is possible to eat too much of good foods.
    Ashley.herzing

Answer by Ashley.herzing at 3:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2009