How do I encourage my one-year-old's cognitive development?

My on-year-old sons' fine motor skills are a little below average. He doesn't clap, wave bye-bye, etc. He also hasn't said any words or attempte to walk. Are there any activities or games that you've done with your child to encourage them to develop faster?

strawberrycakes

Asked by strawberrycakes at 2:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lot's of play and talking. Encourage talking, walking, pointing. You lead by example. Just keep prodding. Even learn some sign language and use it while talking. Just do it all and eventually he will decide when to put it all together and do it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster.........talk, talk, talk! Any sound that he makes, mimic it and then follow up with words that have that sound, like if he says mmmmmmmmm, then mimic that sound and follow up with mama, my, mommy, etc. When he shows interest in anything, pick it up and play with it too, encouraging him to show you the various parts of it through pointing. Read tons of books, and encourage him to play with toys that have smaller parts (age appropriate of course). Also start giving items that require fine motor like a spoon and do some hand over hand feeding so that he gets used to using his fingers in different ways.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Which are you looking for, cognitive, speech or motor skill development? Different things.

Call Early Intervention. If you can't find the number, contact your school district's special education department.

EI will do a full evaluation on him, let you know where he is "behind" and if his delays are severe enough, will let you know what services they can provide you.

In general, though, from what you've written and based on my own experience with my boys (all three receive services) he's not that far behind.

Encourage him to wave..wave to him, help him wave and show him how. Same with clapping.

Label everything and slow down your own speech. Encourage him to repeat what you say, breaking words down and speaking in two word phrases. (by the way, it's still early for speech) Don't use baby talk, use correct words and articulation.

Play, play, play.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2009