Rash?

When I went to pick up my 3 month old son, my sister noticed that the baby was crying with his eyes closed and tears were coming out only from the left eye. I fed him and he only drank 3 oz. because he got fussy. I put him in his swing and he stopped crying. I then noticed that his left eye was red and a little bit swollen(the eyelid and the skin below the bottom of his eyelashes). I touched the right eye and he didnt cry. Then I touched the left eye (the one that's red) and he started to cry. I don't know what it is. It looks like a rash to me. What should I do? Have any of you mom's experienced this with your baby? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should take him to the doctor. Sometimes that stuff they rub on the baby's eyes can irritate them. They rub this stuff on them after they're born just in case the mom has gonorrhea. My son had clogged tear ducts for months, probably from that. It needs to be treated, so take him to the doctor.

PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It sounds like the beginning of pink eye. Take him to the doctor quickly so you can prevent it from spreading to the other eye. Make sure to wash your hands after you touch his face so that you don't get it. Never, ever take eye problems lightly!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yep, sounds like pink eye. Babies do get it.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 3:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009