If you were constantly passed over for other job openings in your company because ‘you are needed in your current position’ would you train someone who is making more money?

I am on the third person being trained for jobs I want and more then capable of doing. Then they come to me on computer issues and get help and other aspects of the job. After I help them (hoping for good karma) they go off and look like these awesome employees. Then I am overlooked again. I can’t take much more. If the job market was better I would be gone. I am still going to start job hunting but wanted some input on how to handle my current problem. Do I keep helping others look great or become a bitch and make it look like I am not a team player? Is there an option I am maybe missing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Go to your boss and ask why YOU are not getting these jobs when you are training others for them. You can always train someone for the job you're in, too.

Polish up your resume, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I agree. Talk to your boss. It seems completely unfair.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I asked myself! I have been in the medical insurance biz for almost 20 yrs, 11 yrs in my current job. When they created a new dept (one I wanted), I was not considered! I do work @home which is the reason they used yet the mgr they promted also works @home. So I did not consider that an excuse. I called them on it! But that ws thr excuse. I am tired of what I do and started looking for another job, didn't like what I was seeing & didn't want to do ths anymore. I'm not selling here, but I started my own biz lst year. My income should go to f/time in a few mths & then I'm outta there & the insurance biz.
    But, Yes I called them on it also.. You may not like what you hear. BUT, sometimes leaving something like this I consider to be the best "door" that ever opened!
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2009