My daughter is 15 months old and has never sucked her fingers, thumbs, or needed a paci but now she has 4 teeth coming in and is trying to suck on everything...is this normal or am I reading to much into it?

She really has never sucked on her thumb or fingers or even wanted a paci. Now since she has 4 teeth coming in she wants her thumb and a paci. I am trying to keep both away from her but this morning when I went in to get her out of the crib, she had been sucking on her thumb for so long that is was really white and really pruny (sp?). If you have any ideas on if this is normal or not please let me know!

lmcnaught830

Asked by lmcnaught830 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Normal...it's called teething. Get her a teether. Or a wet washcloth or a frozen bagel to gnaw on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My son has always sucked his thumb.. its always white and pruny.. LOL. Hes almost 4 now and is starting to grow out of it, he only does it when hes really tired. But, yeah.. I think in your daughters situation its very normal. She is teething. The wet washcloth thing works great.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 3:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Just teething , she might get a runny nose, fever or diarreha (sp) too. rub her lower gums in the front. That is where must children get their first teeth, it feels good and will help her cut them in.
    mammasamba

Answer by mammasamba at 3:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thanks so much everybody. She has like 7 teeth but never did this just always ran a little fever. I will try the teethers and see how she likes it. Thanks for the advice!
    lmcnaught830

Answer by lmcnaught830 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009