Do any of you have mom-in-laws that are tooo loving?

My fiance's mom pays my fiance's health insurance, car insurance, phone, and now she wants to pay half our rent on the condition that she have a hand in picking the place we live. Where would you draw the line?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 3:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• He sounds like a mommas boy to me...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Where would I draw the line? I wouldn't

Anyone who wants to pay MY bills is a friend of mine. Let her help you pick the place. I'm sure she has good taste, right?

Have fun saving a ton of $$$$! Just never depend on her money, make sure you would be able to pay all of your bills without her help. You're LUCKY!!
    Anonymous

• yeah he does. Sounds like maybe she wants to keep that control over him and by paying for things she will be able too. I personally wouldnt like everything being payed for cuz she has to much say so.
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My mom is the one who is like that. I have to constantly set boundaries with her. You all need to decide what an acceptable level of involvement in your lives is and gently but firmly keep her to it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have the coolest mom-in-law ever. She is easy to talk to, not intrusive, cute, helpful, not judgemental, she is like a good friend.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 4:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my MIL sucks. I'm pretty sure she's living with her accountant now that they've finally foreclosed her house she hasn't made a pmt on in 11 months, and taken the business she owes 20k worth of back taxes on...

shoot, as many empty promises as my MIL has made, i'd certainly take up any opportunity to save money by her behalf!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would start setting boundaries with you fiance! Does he realize that he is handicapping himself into her debt? He needs to grow a pair and start paying before she gets the bill! AND NO I would NOT let her pick my place, what if you hate it? Is he comfortable with all this? Does he realize that he is going to have to get accustomed to paying his own way eventually? OH my gosh, too many questions....sorry I don't think that I have an answer! My MIL is awesome! I would NOT be ok with this...you might as well be living with her, because she is going to control your whole married life if it keeps up this way...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My fiance's grandma (she adopted him when he was 7) is awesome. She doesn't try to pay our bills and do all that but every month she sends us about $200, just to have. It helps us out a lot and the only thing she wants in return is for us to come visit her since she can't come see us due to medical reasons. She lives about 2 hours away so we don't go all the time but we got atleast once a month. If she's willing to pay all those things then i'd let her. More money you don't have to pay out but if she starts wanting to get more and more involved i'd have to draw the line there. Her having say in the place you live isn't all that bad if she's paying for it, you and your fiance have a say in it too and since he seems kind of like a momma's boy i'm sure she'll listen to what he wants.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 7:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009