have you tried your baby can read

i was watching tv and saw this program called yes your baby can read just wonering if anyone out there has tried ir and if so how do they like it

prdmommy83

Asked by prdmommy83 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This question comes up all the time.

It's not worth the money
    Kids don't learn to read, they only learn to memorize how words look.
    They don't learn letters, phonics or how letters go together to form words.
    They don't learn to spell.
    You can teach your toddler to read the correct way for free.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• This program is at best a waste of money. At worst it will harm your child's ability to learn to read properly.

Do a search here at CafeMom - this question is asked at least once a week. Read the old answers.
    Then do a search online about the academic fate of children who learn to "sight read" before learning to read properly with phonics.

Help your child do well in school - play with them and skip this program.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I actually asked this question the other day and got alot of feed back that it was a waste of money and we should just let our babies be babies, so after I purchased it I am so prepared to send it back even though I kind or want to try it out. It is a tad expensive though.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 4:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Learning to "sight read" is horrible. This is coming from someone who was part of the "experiment" in elementary school because somebody thought it would be better than phonics. I still can't spell! lol and I actually enjoy reading I don't know how the kids who didn't like to read ended up. I recently found out from a relative that my old school district went back to phonics I guess they marked it as a failure.
    Anonymous