At what age should i start potty training my 1year old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son turned 2 in Dec and we are trying now everyone i know where i am from start aroung 18-24 mons watch for the signs. Good Luck
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It's not age based AT ALL. It's like asking "what age should I force my child to stop crawling and force him to walk instead"... even if you wanted to force your child to do something, different kids are ready at different ages.

Watch for the signs. Check BabyCenter.com for a good list.

Your child will learn when he is ready and willing to do so. Not before. No matter how many months or years you've been training. No matter how old. No matter how many accidents.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• its more about when will you be ready..JMO. It takes a lot of time and consistency to potty train. If you arent ready for that time restraint then dont start. I tried with my daughter at 15 months...she could have done it but i didnt stick with it. I didnt have the time to sit at home all day running to the potty every 45 minutes and with all the running around i was doing i couldnt let herbe in underwear and not worry that she would pee all over everything. I re-tried just last week or so...she will be 2 on monday and she had it down pretty good with in 2 days. it was a very smooth transition from diapers to panties. Good luck
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 4:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Just to offer a slightly different perspective (not to disrespect anyone else's opinion...): My daughter trained very well at 19 months. She hadn't shown all the "readiness signs" and definitely didn't walk up to me and say, "No more diapers, mommy, I'm a big girl now." I don't agree that it's like forcing your child to walk before she's ready... Iyou don't wait until your child is cognitively capable of reading a book before you begin teaching her about letters, sounds, etc... My daughter didn't know much about the potty at all, in fact, and she took to it just fine. Experts agree that the ability to control the bladder develops around 18 months. After that, IMO, is fair game. I feel glad that I was able to give my daughter the opportunity to master something new. All that said, you as the parent have to be ready. My daughter went straight to underwear and had the hang of it in about a week. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Watch for signs like taking off a diaper and not being able to stand a wet or dirty diaper if it bothers them its time to at least try it out. My dd was potty trained at 18 months. To help ease them into it get a little potty and stickers and let him/her decorate it themself. When they go make a BIG deal about it clap and say big boy/girl yay!!!!!
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009