does anyone know what this is???

okay so i started my prenatal care LATE...and last week i went to my doc....they gave me a refferal to see another doc..in the form it just says "missed triple screen & late prenatal"...does anyone know what a "triple screen" mean??my doc. didnt explain this to me nor hand the referral..the lady in the front did when i went to schedule my next appointment..and she didnt explain...does anyone know what the triple screen test is for??should i be worried??in need of answers please..:/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The triple screen test is a maternal blood screening test that looks for three specific substances: AFP, hCG, and Estriol.

AFP: alpha-fetoprotein is a protein that is produced by the fetus.

hCG: human chorionic gonadotropin is a hormone produced within the placenta

Estriol: estriol is an estrogen produced by both the fetus and the placenta

It is a non-invasive procedure done through a blood test with little to no known risk to the mother or developing baby.

LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 3:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• and im about 31 going in to 32 weeks prego...

Anonymous

• The triple screen is tests the probability that your child will have a neurological disorder. Since they are testing your blood and not the baby's... but elevated (or too-low) levels of any of the substances means there's a higher chance of baby having some sort of disorder. If it comes back with unusual results, they will do an ultrasound to see if there are any physical abnormalities and they may ask if you want an amnio done to test the BABY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2009