c-section advice?

hi i was wondering what people's experiences were with c-sections? how soon do they have you get up and walk around? what do they give you for it? how long does it take to recover? do you always have staples or is it stitches? anything would be helpful.
thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've had two c-sections. The first one was very easy to recover from. I rested and took my pain meds as directed and that kept the pain at bay. I was up moving that day. With that one I had an epidural because it was not planned.

The second was a bit harder to recover from, mainly because I had a 6 year old, and a 6 month old daughter as well to take care of and I just didn't take care of myself well enough. I should have relied on more help. With that one I had a spinal and it was MUCH nicer than the epidural. With that one, because of extremly low blood pressure, I was kept laying down for the first day and didn't get up until the next.

With both, though, I felt more like myself within 3 weeks.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 3:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I had a c-section w/ my son, its not bad at all. I was up and moving a little more than 12 hours later. Thats the best thing to do, get up and move when you feel up to it. Dont push it, but don't baby yourself either. I took Ibprofen for the pain, which wasn't bad at all. I had staples, and was back yo myself w/in 3 wks or so.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I had 2 c-sec. The first one, I was out of rec at 9pm and taking a shower at 7am. The second one I had at 8am and was walking to see him (bent over like I was 120 yrs old) when I could feel my legs which was around 1pm (he was in NICU and born early). I had staples. Apply a pillow over your incision and press on it when you have the need to cough or laugh. The more you move and use your mucles, less pain you will have. For the first one, I was given morphine and percocet. The 2nd one I was on a morphine drip for a few hours then I took tylenol. I refused the pain meds and only asked for the tylenol.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• During and right after they gave me oxyiodine for the pain...I was up and walking around about 14 hrs afterwards....then i was talking motrin i think.... I felt like myself probably 4 weeks after... but what they arent telling you is the horrible pain you get in your right side after wards... you dont realize how much people make you laugh until you have a c-section... it hurts so bad to laugh...oh and I had stitches and tape over them lol i waited the 6 weeks to take them off lololol even though i was only supposed to keep them on for 2 weeks
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 4:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• hi i was wondering what people's experiences were with c-sections? Wonderful.
    how soon do they have you get up and walk around? 12 hours
    what do they give you for it? Vicodin
    how long does it take to recover? 8 weeks
    do you always have staples or is it stitches? I had staples
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 4:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Dont let people fool you, it does hurt. bad. I was up walking about 12 hours after but it was not just easy walking around...it was hard hard hard to move. I had stitches inside of my incision that dissolved on their own so I didn't ever see them.
    I was on motrin and felt the pain alot and then one nurse told me that I was misinformed and could have real pain meds and made a world of difference.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• "Dont let people fool you, it does hurt. bad. "

I don't see where anyone is "Fooling" anyone. Would you care to elaborate on your paranoia?
    Anonymous

• I had an unplanned c/s after about 16 hours of labour. I had an epi that they left in for a couple days for pain meds. My c/s was at 2am, by the time I was out of recovery and back in my room it was about 4ish. I did get up briefly the first day, but still had the epi (with I believe morphine 2x a day in it, the anesthetist came in and gave it to me) and the catheter and iv in. By day 3 everything was out and I went home day 4. I had one long running stitch which I think is better than staples (I had staples after my tubal and they got twisted and infected). I was sore, but I didn't have a lot of pain once I was home. I had an Rx for T3's, but I only took it for the first day and a half, then just extra strength tylenol. I have a pretty high pain threshold (except for contrax) and I heal quickly so I was back to normal in about 5 weeks, but I know some women take longer.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• you can walk around the next day, but, of course it's not a piece of cake or anything. it takes about 2 weeks to feel OK and about 3 months to fully recover. i'm trying for a VBAC next month!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009