What age do I start to put my daughter into a booster seat?

My daughter who is almost 4 is still in her car seat that is for toddler;s and I know that either around 4 or 5 yrs old she has to be in a booster, but not sure when.

kaynadjaysmom28

Asked by kaynadjaysmom28 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think it's age thing, it's a weight thing. I believe it's 40lbs.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• depends on your state...but here it is 5 and or 40 lbs
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 3:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my son will be 5 end of the month and he's in a carseat up to 65 lbs, then turns into a booster til 100 lbs. He's only 35 lbs, so i am keeping him in a carseat as long as possible, safer for him.
    I agree it doens't go by age, but height and weight.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 4:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It's not age based at all.
    If your daughter is mature enough for a booster seat and the freedoms (and dangers) it brings, AND meets the minimum height and weight requirements for the seat, then you can move her.

BUT, be aware that a booster is more dangerous. She may squirm out of the seat belt to get a dropped toy or snack. She may decide that the shoulder belt is more comfortable BEHIND her arm - which is a very dangerous. She may think that playing with the belt buckle is fun.

You have to judge your child's readiness, not just how tall or how much she weighs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• the law is 4 years old and 40 pounds. that is a bare minimum. if she is still squirmy or seems jsut not ready for a booster, don't hesitate to keep her in a harness. she doens't have to be in a booster at that age, there are carseats that harness to 65 or 80 pounds nowadays. the longer they are harnessed the better.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• it depends in the hight and the weight heres is 40 pounds but as long that she fits in the other one its safer
    R3DR0S3

Answer by R3DR0S3 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009