How am I supposed to make my stepson like me?

my step son is 5 years old, I have been married to his dad for about 3 months. I really think he can't stand me, and I hate to say it, but it's really causing me to like him less. Can someone please give me some advice!

Kates1122

Asked by Kates1122 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have an 8 year old stepson, and I married his father when he was 5.. I'll tell you what works.. Being patient does work.. And I know.. I spent a few months hating weekends, because I knew he didn't care much for me.. Act on his level.. Play his games.. Tickle him.. Play with his toys with him.. All that.. You have to get down to his level.. and be his friend.. My stepson calls me momma sometimes, but mostly.. I'm his best friend.. and he'll tell anyone that.. We play video games together, we play with his toys.. I take him to parks.. and to the playplaces at the restaurants.. But most importantly.. Just gotta get on his level. ... and don't listen to alot of other people when they tell you, you shouldn't have married him. It's a hard thing to go through, and there will be days you can't stand him.. But later down the road, you'll realize how special he is to you and you to him. good luck! hope it works out
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I wish I could. :( You can't MAKE someone like you, especially a child. I have been someone's step-daughter three times, and I myself have been a step-mother, and there is no easy answer. Be patient, don't push and, when he's ready, he'll come to you.
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 4:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Honey just be yourself he will grow out of it eventually. Hes just adjusting to sharing his father's attention. Good thing he is young because he'll grow on to you. But just treat him like he's your own and everything will fall into place. Also try to get some alone time with him like going to the park or the movies just so you can have that bond with him yourself.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my son has a hard time with his step father, I think blending families has to be one of the hardest things ever!! But do like the others said and be patient, be kind, and he will come around. Doing activities alone would also be a good suggestion! My step son is a teenager but whenever I go to the store or something I ask him if he wants to drive me, it gives us time for just the two of us to talk and bond.
    6kids1man

Answer by 6kids1man at 6:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You can't make anyone like you. You need to understand you are a new person to him. Give it time, be yourself. Oh- and you better learn quick that he might not like you very much for awhile and at given points but if you are gonna not like him because of it- you should have rethought becoming a stepmother.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 6:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I agree with what others have said here. You can't make him like you, but understandibly, his dislike towards you is making you resent the situation even more. It is hard for a child to first see their parent split - or whatever the case was - but then have some stranger come in and take over their parent's time and attention. Just let things happen how they will, but don't be forceful about becoming close to him. Let HIM warm up to you.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2009