whats the easiest way to stop breast feeding?

my daughter is 16 months and CAN NOT go to sleep with out me nursing her.

superM0M1

Asked by superM0M1 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She might not be ready to wean yet. Can you nurse, then hand her off to Daddy while she's still awake but sleepy? You might have to change up your nightly routine: nurse, teeth brushing, books, cuddle and into bed. She might also like rocking because it's still that closeness they crave.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• she will go to sleep just let her cry i know its hard but thats what u got to do
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 4:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• CIO is dangerous! Elevated blood pressure, heart rate, gagging and who wants their baby crying all alone to go to sleep!?! Read No Cry Sleep Solution or change your routine up. It may take a few days but she'll come around.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the "No Cry Sleep Solution" book by Pantley. It takes you through the steps of gradually transitioning baby to get to sleep on their own.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Do you want to stop nursing completely? Also, what's wrong with nursing to sleep? Does she still wake up at night, or does she just like to nurse to get to sleep?

If you want to wean, it needs to be slow. I don't know how many times a day she nurses but the naptime and nighttime feedings are the hardest to get rid of.

You didn't give much info, so I don't know the situation. My daughter self weaned at 21 months. I helped her wean from night time nursing though (not the one to get her to sleep, just when she woke up during the night). The rest she did on her own. I didn't offer, didn't refuse. Just let her do her own thing.

For bed time I would nurse and then read. She eventually just wanted to read, didn't even want to nurse. So now we brush teeth, read, and turn off the light. I sit in there until she goes to sleep. :) It';s wonderful.

The "no cry sleep solution" may help. It's a book. They have one for toddlers too!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• At 22 months, I told my daughter that she had drank all of Mommy's milk and there was no more. It was easier than I thought. She was over it in a couple of days. I had been her "pacifier" for almost 2 years and I just couldn't do it anymore. I am glad I did it for that long. She and I are incredibly close to this day and she's 11!
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I breast feed my son until 17 months , and I finally just had to stop . It took about 3 days and he was fine. Sometimes he would try and I would say all gone and give him a cup! but the pacifier is another story?l
    SPACEYSTACY3

Answer by SPACEYSTACY3 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I'm in the process of weening my son (18 months) off of the night time nursing. first I stopped nursing until asleep. I nursed until drowsing but still awake and then put him in bed. He fussed a little but not much. Now I cutting down the length of time I nurse. I went from 15 to 10 and next will be 5 minutes and then done. . . hope that helps.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009