• In the Spotlight:

My son is not talking

My son is 27 months old, and he only says ball, ma, da, and wow. He grunts and points at things and he understands everything you tell him, but he doesnt respond vocally. I have mentioned this to his doctor several times, but he doeesnt say anything, its like the doctor is ignoring me. he is very healthy and has hit evry other milestone, im just not sure what to do about his speech. What should I do???

HelloKitty86

Asked by HelloKitty86 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did not say much at all till he was 2 years old and then we could not stop him., If the dr is not worried, and he is developing normally in other areas , maybe you just need to give him more time.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 4:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would talk to a speech therapist since he's over 2. If your doc won't recommend one you could try another doctor...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My sister didn't talk much until she was almost three, now she talks all the time. LOL!

Your doctor should address your worries. When I was worried about my youngest son's hearing I took him to a branch of the health department that dealt with children's hearing and speech, and they evaluated his hearing and his speaking, even the way I spoke in case I didn't speak clearly and was slowing him down. His speech was fine, as it turns out, but I wonder if your child could benefit from a simliar evaluation. Meanwhile, if you haven't already, tell your doctor firmly that you are concerned and does the doctor feel that your child's speech is something to be worried about. You can also refuse to respond to pointing and grunting and insist on speaking.

Answer by Bmat at 4:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• At two years old he really should be starting to use 2 word sentences "more juice" "get ball" "go dog" and have a couple dozen words. the fact that he seems to understand everything is good, and suggests that he may just be a late talker. However, if this were my child I would want to have them evaluated by a speech therapist.
    Call your local county school office. They will get you connected with the right resources, and it should not cost you anything as it is part of public education.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Consult with a developmental pediatrician and find a speech therapist thru your insurance.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• "Walk at one, talk at two, think at three ..." So he doesn't seems to be very slow. Young children are utterly imitative, so doublecheck that he sees plenty of heartfelt talking going on around him, and is constantly talked TO: "Here's your little sweater Gramma made for you! - right arm first, left arm then, round about and back again ... so soft, this'll keep you cozy and warm ... up! ... where's the blue truck? There it is! I'll push the red truck and you push the blue truck and we'll roll them into the hallway .... ah, the horse and the goat and cow want a ride! On they go, let's take them to the kitchen ... roll, roll ... You let the trucks get under the table for lunch and I'll fix the soup, and we'll ALL have soup!"
    If he says something, echo it: "Ball" "Yes! The Ball! You have the ball and we roll the ball" ... or "Yes! The green ball !"
    Also, read lovely picturebooks at nap/quiet time and bedtime. Enjoy the words !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• We do read alot, and he has a big book called "My First Words" If I ask him where the black cat is, her will show me, if I ask him to go get his boots, he will bring them to me, and I have always taught him left right up down soft rough, etc... So he does know basic colors, shapes and describing words.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I see you are in CA...Contact you local First5 office and ask for a developmental evaluation.

http://www.first5sanbernardino.org/

If he needs help, they can help you get it. They have some pretty good fun, free programs too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Another thing to do is...when he points, say for a drink, then you say "drink?" and hold it and when he points again, you say it again. Kinda try to make him say it. Don't just hand it when he points. Or grunts. If you are always doing that, then he doesn't need to talk. Give him a reason.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Enjoy together reading Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes (big words are fine, they broaden his experience), Dr. Seuss' simpler repetitious story books. Let him feel your words washing over him musically.
    There are lots of books & websites explaining the effects of TV / video / electronically-generated sounds/music/talking. I didn't expose my kids to any of it until they were 4 or 5. A great deal of learning happens in the INTERACTION between your baby and you - your facial expressions, the familiarity of your voice, your positivity and encouragement and delight, the way what you are talking about comes from what is going on at the moment. After teaching and tutoring for decades, I am convinced that a big part of learning is a transference between parent and child (or two other people who are well in tune with each other). Is it psychic? Is it feeling safe enough to be open to learning? I suspect it's psychic, myself.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2009