can i get gestational diabetes past the 7 months?

the thing is that my whole pregnancy i've been craving sweets like crazy, and that is making me gain around 2 pounds a week instead of one i dont wanna get diabetes :$ but i dont know how to control this cravings

maryfer

Asked by maryfer at 4:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why not try fruit when you want sweets. I ate a lot of strawberries while pregnant. You might try somethings like low suger alternatives also. Pay attention to the sugar content in things. Those pre-packaged Rice Krispie Treats actually aren't that high in sugar. I have diabetes and I can eat one of those. Plus, with it being pre-packaged, maybe it won't be so hard to stop at one. Sugar-free popsicles are good too. You can satisfy your cravings, just use a healthier alternative.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I don't see why you couldn't. I doubt there is any law that says you can't, lol. Switch to fruits that might satisfy your sweet cravings otherwise you will find it very hard to lose the weight and to stop the cravings postpartum.
    Anonymous

• I am sure you could develop it, but I wouldn't worry about it. Craving sweets and weight gain doesn't cause GD, not always at least. There are more factors.

Try fruit and watch the sugar content in things. I get sweet cravings too but watch what I eat. I use dark chocolate.. which usually has less sugar. I also pay attention to the sugar content. I love eating fruit though, so that helps. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Gestational diabetes is a hormone imbalance, not a craving induced issue. I had GD with my last pregnancy and I eat VERY healthy (no sweets, fast food, pop or junk for me). When you have GD your body can not process carbs correctly. You will be tested at 28 weeks, and if you don't have it then you will be fine, if you DO you will have to cut the cravings and watch what you are eating. Basically no carbs, lean meats and cheeses, some fruit is out (raisins are extremely HIGH in carbs) and even some veggies (corn, potatoes). The blood glucose screening is what tests you GD and if you have already had to drink the nasty sugary stuff and then have blood drawn, then you have already had this test done. PM me if you need anything else, otherwise you will just have a higher weight gain after baby is born to deal with. The foods that you choose to eat now have no bearing on whether or not you will have GD.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2009