Just wondering if anyone has panic attacks, what do you do about it?

I have had very bad panic attacks for 7 years, the only way I got through that was taking zoloft and xanax. I was never able to control my attacks, so when I found out I was pregnant and the doctor told me to stay away from xanax...I just thought to myself "what am I going to do" they get so bad that I pass out. Just want to know if anyone has had to deal with this.

Tracy44821

Asked by Tracy44821 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Health

• I suffered from panic attacks from the time I was 9yrs old until just recently. So roughly 20+ years. And even occassionally I still get panicky during high stress situations. Or at least situations I consider stressful...like I get very panicky when I RIDE in a car with someone. I have to be in control driving. So in this situation, I have to do my deep breathing exercises. Also, I have found that tapping my collarbone somehow seems to help. And I hate this, but, pinching my leg or hand helps a bit too. Even wearing a rubberband around my wrist and popping it when I need to be distracted from my attack helps a little too. I guess the slight pain briefly keeps my mind off of what's really going on. These are things I do when I'm in a situation or place I cannot immediately get out of. If I'm at home and have one, I will try to do my best to stay busy...clean, organize, watch tv, etc. Hope any of this helps!
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 4:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my little sis was haveing panic attacks and she would start freeking out and we went to the dr servral times. my mom had to end up taking her in the the er and come to find out she was not hveing a panic attac she was have a galbladder attack. these two are commonly mistaken for the each other so you may want to get your galbladder check just to make sure
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 5:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have really bad anxitey and panic attacks too. I also took xanax before I got pregnant. It was hel getting off of them and I have now went almost 9 months without them. It hasnt been easy thats for sure and my dr. even put me a low does of ativan. Of course I only took them a couple times and felt really bad for it. I usally just try my best to stay away from a stressful situation but its been hard b.c since i have been pregnant my anxiety has been worse. Hopefully you will be one of those with a pregnancy that anxiety and panic attacks go away I have heard of that.
    Anonymous

• Mine seemed to be triggered by too much caffeine, meat and dairy, and drinks with aspartame. Maybe you can take a look at your diet for the culprit instead of relying on pills.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I suffer from panic/anxiety attacks and take Xanax but I also learned how to control them through deep breathing and talking to friends. I have one friend that can talk me out of a panic/anxiety attack. Picturing a calming place where you can relax in helps too. I only take the Xanax as needed and not very often, I try everything else before I take the meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Panic attacks are the body/brain's overreaction to stimuli. I've had these for 30 years. I was fortunate that mine diminished during pregnancy once I got past the 1st trimester. I currently take Klonopin to tone down the attacks but still get them once in a while. I've found, like the 1st answer, that providing a distraction will usually interrupt the overreaction by providing a different signal to the brain. I prefer to pop a peppermint or piece of gum in my mouth first. If that doesn't work I will begin writing, forcing my brain to do something besides panic. If that doesn't work I will get up and move around, satisfying the body's "flight" reaction. A big help for you would be to learn deep relaxation techniques; deep breathing, purposefully relaxing muscle groups, even meditation. When you can MAKE your body relax, then YOU will be in control of the panic.
    Remember, although it feels like it at the time, you won't die
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009