Do you think it's wrong to have children if you have a hereditary disease?

Or a disease that is at least somewhat genetically related? My husband and I both have psychiatric illnesses (treated) and I'm just wondering how many of you think that it was wrong for us to have a child.

quirkymama

Asked by quirkymama at 4:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• "The problem with modern medicine is that those that are weaker should have died. That's why we're overpopulated."

Wow. i hope none of your children ever get a treatable disease, such as strep throat or pneumonia. Sounds like to me, since they would be weak at that period of time, you might just let them die...with out the help of modern meds. Your poor children. And Heaven help them should they get cancer....due to the current overpopulation problem, they'd just have to die huh?

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• No..
    Anonymous

• Are you going to keep your illness managed? It is not fair to have children if your not going be able to properly care for them. And if a person has inheritable genetic disease, they should carefully consider the pro's and con's before doing so.
    Anonymous

• YES.
    Anonymous

• My belief is that if 2 people come together and make a child that inherits something wrong with it, it's the way of nature that the child will probably die because of it's problems. Nature. Ya know, like when the animals eat the weak one?
    Anonymous

• MMMMMMMMMM I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BUT ITS SAD BUT IF IT WAS ME I WOULD STILL HAVE 1 CHILD ATLEAST YOU WILL KNOW HOW IT FEELS BUT I AM SURE THE CHILD WILL UNDERSTAND IF THEY DO GET THE ILLNESS MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM CHEER UP SWEETIE :)MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Anonymous

• Honestly, it really depends on the situation. If the condition is manageable and will not greatly impact a child's life (should they develop said condition) I say go for it. Do not deny yourself the pleasures of parenthood. For me it all comes down to quality of life.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• No everyone has the right to have a child...as long as your illness doesn't prevent you from raising one.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Um, mental illness DOES prevent people from raising their children. Even with medication, it is not 100%. Try being raised by a bi-polar person and see if you like it.
    Anonymous

• Every one has the right to have a child, however,NOT all people should exercise that option.
    Anonymous