In a worse case scenerio, how do you think people will react?

As we all see here, there are varying opinions of religion, right, wrong, morals, family/social, lifestyle, choices, etc. In a worse case scenerio involving catastrophe or disaster, whether economic or natural, do you think the majority of people will be willing to set differences aside in order to survive? How would you expect people to react? Do you think you would be a leader or a follower? Would you be willing to join with others and contribute communally or would you separate yourself and your family and think only of their needs? What do you think you would be able to contribute based upon your education, knowledge, talents, available supplies, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think there will be serious divides based on religion/social groups. Like will band together with like and only protect themselves, because nobody will have the resources to protect everyone. It would be like dozens of gang wars on a larger scale.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I don't know many people who would refuse help in this scenario because of someone else's religious beliefs or lack of. But notpanicking has a point too. I would probably be a follower though and help out where I could. I would be willing to join others but in certain areas my family would come first to me. In other areas it depends who has the greater need. What could I contribute?? HMMM I am a certified medical assistant so I could assist with giving shots, drawing blood, bandaging wounds and sprains, CPR, and you know medical stuff. It would really just depend where I was needed.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think people can come together and not worry about religious beliefs, parenting beliefs,etc. That wont be the main focus.
    However, I do believe there are some who could never let that go so there would be a few who would seperate themselves due to those things. And that would be sad.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• They will come together and differences will be put aside. Of course there will be those who will not look past differences, whether ethnic, cultural, social class, religious etc. But the majority would and will come together.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i would hope ppl would act like they did after 9/11; working together to do what needs to be done, realizing how stupid all the little things really are, & doing the best they can with what has happened.

but i would think most ppl would be too busy blaming each other & pride would keep them separated.

i wouldnt be a leader unless asked or the only one who could do it. i would put my family first but would help others whenever i could. the only things i can think of that i could contribute are mental health checks (not really that helpful) & i know how to do very basic medical things (CPR, wrapping sprains, stopping bleeding, etc) thanks to being a wrestling trainer. i also have some basic ROTC survival school training...but that was 10 years ago haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Two words "The Myst".  Nuff said!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Personally, I think the lines will be drawn between those people who will sit around waiting for help to come and those who take matters into their own hands to organize and work to together to assure survival. In a case such as this, people within the group need to think about both short term needs and long term needs. Immediate needs would be shelter, food, water, medical care, medical supplies, clothing, protection, waste disposal, means of cooking, electricity, transportation, burial of dead, to name a few. If it were a matter of realizing that help was not going to be immediately forthcoming, then there would be the need for people to pool what they have, or what they can find. I think smaller towns would probably fair much better than people living in larger cities, only because there is more of a sense of community. I would be able to contribute in a lot of areas, like managing food and cooking.
    Anonymous

• Well, look at the tsunami in SE Asia. Everyone banded together. I think most will stick together.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think when it comes down to the nitty gritty, life is life and ppl will do what needs to be done in order to save it or preserve it as much as possible. When we all get out of our heads and into our hearts we realize that every life is sacred and our differences really don't matter all that much.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• There's short term and long term. Short term - 9/11, Katrina, the tsunami - people banded together and helped each other out. One week after 9/11, Bush was wrong to not panic a room full of kids and fly away, he was also possibly responsible for it. One week after Katrina, it was Bush's fault that the state didn't call for the National Guard sooner or organize a better evacuation. It was the State's fault for not reinforcing the levies and embezzling the money for it. It was everyone's fault that global warming caused the hurricane in the first place. One week after the tsunami - it was the fault of each SE Asian government for not having a unified communications system because earthquake watchers in CA KNEW it was coming and had no way to warn anybody.

Short term, people will help. Long term, they'll start dividing into their separate camps.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2009