14 weeks and no heartbeat on a doppler? Weight an issues?

I had my first appointment yesterday and saw a nurse. She tried for about 10 minutes to pick up the heartbeat with a doppler and got nothing. She swears up and down that everything is fine and that it's not uncommon, but I am scared to death. I am wondering if there are other overweight mommas who got a heartbeat later than the average 10-12 weeks. I was 278 (ugg) when they weighed me yesterday and I know weight can be a factor but I really need some reassurance. I hate it when people put "please no mean responses" but in this case it would be nice if the moms who answer didn't give me any hell because I don't want to stress over this more than I already am. Thanks

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 5:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm sorry, I'm not sure why. Did they do an ultrasound to check the heart that way?
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I agree with 1sxt post, if they didnt find one they should have done an ultrasound to check. It can happen that it is hard to find it if you are overweight (I am too and my Dr didnt even try with a doppler untill 16 weeks, and I was about 240) but she should have tried an ultrasound if she didnt find anything. I would call and ask. When is your next apt?
    Anonymous

• Nope, she just told me over and over that it was fine and my hormone levels were perfect. I go back in two weeks to see a doctor, but I think it's unlikely they will do an ultrasound from the way the nurse talked about it. She told me that when I come in next time that they will "schedule" a sonogram...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 5:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• They should have been able to hear something. I have been around 230 lbs in each of my pregnancies and they have heard the hb around 8 weeks. That happened to my fiend and they went and gave her an ultrasound right away and found out her baby had passed like 2 weeks earlier. I would call the dr or clinic and request an ultrasound. GL
    Anonymous

• I'm overweight too and they didn't hear a heartbeat with my last son at my 13w appt, but a few weeks later we heard it loud and clear. There was no talk of an u/s, just that the extra weight can make it harder, plus even at the hosp here they won't guarantee to find a hb before 16 - 20w with doppler. Try and take it easy (easier said than done I know) and in a couple weeks you should hear baby's heart racing away.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would demand ultrasound. It is crazy that they did not do one. If they refuse, honestly, I think I would make up so pain or something and go to the er to get checked out just to know what is going on.
    Anonymous

• You are so fine...don't worry. I didn't hear my baby on a doppler until I was almost 20 weeks. If they say you are fine, I'm sure you are! I am heavy, and it probably was a factor. You will have an ultrasound and your mind will be at ease. Remember, your baby is really, really tiny, and a doppler has to go through a lot of tissue and other things to find that sound!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• im sure ur fine- my doc didnt even try to pick up my babys heart beat until i was 18 weeks- so dont fret ull be fine!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i went a 12 weeks and my doc couldnt find my babies heart beat but the next app she found it i was about 16 weeks when i heard it.
    amber_walshak

Answer by amber_walshak at 6:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• yea your baby will be ok i promise.
    amber_walshak