Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are my husbands legal rights now that his daughter is 18 and graduates in June?

She has no job, she has funds in a cd for college that isn't accessible till oct of 2009, not sure what she wants to do. Has a horrible attitude to her dad and I (step-mom) and treats everyone else like gold. We have rules and all she has to do is when asked help her dad lift something, I had back surgery, housework is mons and fri. dust, vac and mop. Anything else she has to be told to do it. Has a boyfriend who is 17 &1/2 yrs old who is going to boot camp in May. My husband was laid off 2x's this year, now has no income as he is awaiting extended benifits, I just rec'vd my SSDI..we can't live on this. I will be married to him only 3yrs this coming May. I has been hell, I have had to endure so much, had her stop swearing at her dad, snooping, we have keys to our cpu room and our bedroom thats a shame isn't it?


Asked by Winetuscany at 5:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • If she is 18 she is legally an adult and can go out the door...
    I would tell her she has until graduation day to straighten up and find a job to support herself and move out.
    If her attitude is that bad there is no room for her in your home... your house your rules...

    Answer by gmasboy at 5:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

  • kick her out... she is an adult, but if she wants to be in your house free of charge she needs to follow your rules

    Answer by AK_aries at 5:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

  • he doesnt have to do anything else for her. she is 18 and if she is not in high school then she needs to pay rent to live with you. if she is about to graduate then she needs to finsish school and then she needs to move out. if she doesnt want to pay rent tell her to go move with her mother.

    Answer by twinsnseptember at 5:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

  • Does she live with you full time?
    If she does not then in many states he can stop paying CS once she has gradutated highschool. Certain states like NY they have to pay CS to the child after they graduate until they are 21 if they enroll in college.
    If she does live with you, then your hubby can tell her after she grads, that she has to a choice - live at home and help out, do what she is told. or move out and get her own place.

    Answer by Vanessannd at 5:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

  • she sounds like a typical teenager. she has a boyfriend and doesnt want to always help out around the house normal least she is still in school and is graduating.....

    its not her fault he got laid off.

    she should straighten up, but i wouldnt make my child live on the streets....


    Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009