What age did you start potty training?

Just a few questions -

What age did you start?
How did you introduce the potty?
How long into the process did your baby/toddler first use the potty to go pee/poo?
And do you have any good tips for a new mom introducing the potty to her toddler?

Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I started around 16 months, just to get her comfortable. She first went pee at 18 months, and poo at 22 months. I never used the baby potty, I used the big potty a step stool and a small seat that goes over the regular seat...The key to potty training is consistency. Take your tot at the same time every day, show them simple signs to let you know when. I used a lot of sign language for babies, which came in handy before she could talk. Hope that this helps, AND GOOD LUCK!!!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 5:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It depends on what you mean by "started".
    I got the potty when she was 12 months. It was there for her to explore and sit on as she wished.
    We started reading little potty training storybooks once or twice a week then too.
    I also started talking about how mommy and daddy didn't wear diapers but used the potty and about how she would too one day.
    She flatly refused to sit on the potty for more than 2 seconds until she was 27 months old. I wasn't going to restrain her and force her to sit there so I waited until she was willing to.
    She was pretty much pee trained in a week and in the 6 months since has only had 3 or 4 accidents.
    Poop training is still a work in progress since she has battled constipation since she was 19 months old and has a fear of pooping.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Things to remember:
    Night time dryness has nothing to do with daytime training. Wait until she has been fully daytime trained for at least 6 months before taking any steps to stop bed wetting. Use pullups or diapers at night.
    All kids are different and parenting has very little to do with this process. If your child doesn't want to, you can't force her. Only she can decide if and when to let poop or pee out of her body.
    You can start anytime - you never know when your child will be ready or how long it will take, even with good lists of readiness signs.
    The more signs your child shows, the more likely she is to learn quickly. But some perfectly ready kids WON'T and some who aren't ready learn quickly.
    Intelligence has very little to do with it to. The most intelligent kids frequently refuse!
    YOU have to be ready too. This takes time and patience. If you are already stressed or super busy, it will be worse.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I started at 12 months. She peed the first time, pooped at 13. Were still working on it and shes 14 months. But shes doing great
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 6:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I had the potty set in the bathroom at 2 1/2 years. I potty-trained as soon as the children were dry at night, which for both happened at age three. In one weekend they were trained.

Answer by Bmat at 7:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• If you wait until they are 3, it will only take a few days. That what I did with all 3 of mine. Just put them in underwear and never go back to diapers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2009