What Chores do you all have for your 8 yo

And what consequences, if any do you have if they are not done? I have an 8 yo and a 7 yo they have to clean their rooms once a week and take out the trash when needed and help mom clean living room or unload dishes. my 8 yo throws a holly temper tantrum anytime he is asked to do anything.......the 7 yo he loves to help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 7 year old cleans his room everyday, empties the bathroom trash into the main trash can so I can take it all out at once, and he vacuums the living room area rug. He does those everyday. Takes him about 10 minutes to do it all if he just does it and doesn't mess around. He will help out with anything else I ask him to do without a fit. However, if he doesn't do it for 2 days in a row, his allowance for that week is withheld. He gets a whole $2 a week right now, but that will go up as he gets older and has more opportunity to spend his money.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You need to find a way to make clean up time, fun time. Have some sort of reward system. Pretend like cleaning up is there job...Pay them for a job well done (with money or with special play time) I don't have an 8yo yet, but that is how my parents did it, and how i plan to do it. I think room cleaning, and all the chores that you described are acceptable. Even having them sort the laundry by colors, whites, jeans, towels, etc. can be fun, and help you out.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 6:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have my 9 yo and he empties the dishwasher and sets the table before dinner. After dinner he clears the table. He also helps during cleanup time before bedtime.

His motivation...He loves playing the Wii, if he does the work he gets his video game time.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My son is 9 and he has chores everyday....he has to take all the dirty laundry to laundry room, empty all trashcans, clean living room, vacum hallway, and clean his bathroom. Those chores are spread out through the week. He gets an allowance when he does all his chores properly. His punishment if they are not done is that he does not get to go anywhere over the weekend and no friends over. He usually does great...except for this week!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 7:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Well I guess I am a more laid back gm... lol.... my 8 yr old gs cleans his room when I tell him too... usually it doesn't need it daily or weekly... just whenever I think it has gone to far.... he will help me during the weekend to straighten up and he likes to help with mopping... but as far as having to have to do it he doesn't have anything set as a "must do"... if I ask him to feed the cats, he does it... if I ask him to help me do something he usually will help without any arguing and there is no punishment bc there is no set chore for him ....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• When I was 8, I had to either vacuum/dust the house or clean the bathrooms every week. My brother and I traded each week. I don't remember the consequences if we didn't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My 7 yo loves to do chores; it makes her feel useful & more mature, and it gives me less things to do too! :) She has to clean the kitchen (put dishes in the washer, pick up anything on the countertops & then wipe them down), dust the TVs & tables, make her bed, and simply pick up after herself before we get ready to sleep. We have a 'chore chart' that lists everything, & when everything is done she gets a check mark for each chore. Every 2 weeks she get $1 for every mark on the chart. I think a reward works better than a punishment, and it teaches kids responsibility.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My 8yo refuses to do chores. So she is usually grounded or has had some prized possession confiscated (she hasn't been allowed to use her DS in over a month because of her behavior...which goes beyond refusing to do chores).
    Her chores are: clean her room, dirty clothes in hamper, help bring hamper down on the weekend, fold & put away clean clothes, empty dishwasher when asked, sweep up any messes made in the kitchen, clean off the tables when she makes a mess and help with anything else I ask.
    The only thing she is expected to do on a regular basis is clean her room and laundry. The rest is only whenever I ask for help. My son is 7 and has more chores then her and does them with less whining same with my 6yo dd. My 3yo dd sees the 8yo getting away with it (at least in her mind) and suddenly doesn't want to do her chores either.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:21 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My 3 year old has the same chores as your kids plus he's responsible for taking his laundry to the laundry room and sorting it in to the correct baskets then helping to fold and sort it when it's clean before he puts away his own. Tell your kids they have it easy and they need to suck it up and pull their weight.

I'm very tough on subject of chores because my mother never let me do anything growing up. Seriously, I vacuumed once and got yelled at because I was apparently doing it to hurt her because it was her favorite chore. That meant I had no clue how to do anything once I was out on my own. My kids will not be in that position.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:33 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Chores teach responsibility, get kids to help (so mom is not a slave) and helps teach them there are certain things that are "required" of them. With each birthday add another responsibility as if it is a privledge since they are getting older.  Good books to help young children understand are on the Responsibility/Chores link here http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 4:05 AM on Apr. 5, 2009