Any Moms Go To School For Massage Therapy? Can You Come Here A Minute?

O.K. I have an appt set up for next week to meet with the school. I am nervous and don't know what to ask. I really need to know if it is worth it honestly. I don't want to pay for all this then not be able to find a job. I am going for Professional Massage Therapy. I will have a degree. Can you tell me anything that will help me decide? This is the only thing I feel passionate enough about to go to school for. I don't want to go next week and ask all the wrong questions. I am going to ask them exactly what types of companies I could possibly work with. She did tell me on the phone that chiropractors will soon be having massage therapists help in their offices. Any input at all would be appreciated. Is there anything you did not expect? Anything to be wary of? Am I being paranoid? lol. This is scary. I can't believe I am finally going to do this.

BubbysMom208

Asked by BubbysMom208 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I went to school for Massage Therapy many years ago, but have not practiced for quite some time. The thing I like is that I can pick up a few clients here or there when I need extra money. Just make sure the school you are going to is accredited and check into your state's licensing requirements. Many of the chiropractors in my area have massage therapists. Many salons also have therapists that rent a room from them.
    The hardest part is building up a clientele. I worked for a Spa when I first graduated and was paid per massage; however, I had to be there for my entire scheduled shift doing laundry whether I had a massage scheduled or not. I did not get paid to do the laundry either:(
    If you really love it- you'll do great and you'll have no problem building up a clientele.
    PM me if you want to talk more.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Hey! I just checked your profile and you are in PA- so am I. As far as I know you don't have to be licensed, but you are encouraged to take the certification once you graduate. Make sure the school you are attending meets the hour requirement for qualification to take the certification test.
    Where are you in PA? What's the name of the school? Like I said, PM me if you want.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I went to Massage Therapy school and LOVE it!!! I like the medical massage better than doing spa work, if you have any questions please PM me!!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2009