Auto Insurance

Okay this makes me feel really stupid but I am completely clueless when it comes to car insurance. I live in New Jersey. I am buying a 94 Chevy Beretta. I went to get quotes...but it comes up 900 some dollars a month?! Im so confused. Can anyone help me out with this? Like explain it to me. Or give me an idea of what a normal monthly payment is?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow, are you sure that's not for 6 months? Call Progressive Insurance and ask for a quote. That's who we go through, and they are reasonably priced and very helpful. We pay $160 a month for 2 cars, one is full coverage the other is not.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Do I need full coverage if I am a new driver?
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You only need full coverage if the car is less than 7 years old. So no. Also you should really only pay around 40 a month. But thats here in AR. Call your local insurance guy (we go through Nationwide). He or she should be able to explain more.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I use Geico and they are really nice. They can explain it all to you. It sounds like that if for a montly term, there is no way it will be $900 a month. When I had my older car, I didnt have full coverage. If it was wrecked, chances were it would not be worth fixing. When I got my new car, I HAD to get full covereage. (not that i wouldnt have anyways).
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Something is wrong there! We're in WNY and pay almost $800 for TWO newer vehicles with full coverage!
    Anonymous

• Wow...that is an insane price! There is no way that is right for one month. Insurance is based on the car, your driving history, and your reported usage of the car. If you are buying the car in full (meaning no payments) then you can get just liability coverage if you want, which is much cheaper, but it also covers much less. I use a military insurance company, so I get great prices....but even before I had this company I paid far less than $900 a month..... In 03 I bought an 02 civic and I was only like 19 or something like that, and I only paid about $200 monthly for full coverage on that. Check out local companies, get as many quotes as you can and find out what each policy covers for the price. Sometimes the slighly higher ones are more worth it because of what they will cover. Congrats on buying the car by the way!!
    ReadyorNot

Answer by ReadyorNot at 1:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009